Budget Menu & Dirt Cheap Recipes Dirt Cheap Dinners Stracciatella with Meatballs and Pastina

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Participant

don’t let the name of the recipe fool you! the first time I heard it a gazillion years ago with a thick Italian accent, I thought yeah, right! it’s meatball soup with tiny pasta, thickened with eggs;-) now go ahead and make it!
      Stracciatella with Meatballs and Pastina
      10 cups chicken broth or light meat broth
      1 carrot, very finely chopped
      1 onion, grated
      1/2 lb shredded zucchini or peas
      1/2 cup pastina — orzo, or other small pasta
      1 bag of frozen meatballs (if you want a shortcut), or make your own…about 20 small…or use the Swedish meatball recipe I posted in general recipes forum
      salt, to taste
      2 eggs
      2 tbs extra-virgin olive oil
      2 tbs Parmesan, plus extra to serve
      1/8 tsp nutmeg
      black pepper, to taste
      1 tbs parsley
      Combine the broth, carrot, onion, and zucchini or peas in a large pan. Bring the broth to a boil, then reduce to a steady simmer and cook over medium heat until the begetables are almost tender, about 10 minutes. Add the pastina, meatballs, and salt to taste. Continue to simmer over medium heat until the pastina and meatballs are cooked, about 5 minutes. Meanwhile, beat the eggs with the olive oil, Parmesan, and nutmeg in a bowl. Stir the mixture into the simmering soup to solidify and distribute the beaten egg. Season with pepper, add the parsley, and serve immediately. Serves 4 = about 455 calories.
      this is another meal by itself, or you can serve it in cups and get 8 servings and have with a sandwich or salad.

This looks yummy! I’ll have to make this one! Thanks! 🙂

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Budget Menu & Dirt Cheap Recipes Dirt Cheap Dinners Stracciatella with Meatballs and Pastina