Budget101 Discussion List Archives Senior Savers Starting to get worried.

This topic contains 1 reply, has 3 voices, and was last updated by FroginPond January 23, 2017 at 6:21 pm.

• Author

I’m a Senior and retired, I am on Food stamps, they are only $135 a month. I am also on Social Security, that almost covers my Mortgage payment, my house will be paid off in about 2 years. I am very worried about my future, my sons do help out with some of my expenses but I don’t want to keep depending on them, as they have a life of their own.

I wonder, what should be the average amount a Senior spends on groceries, I am very frugal I make my own bread, use only fresh veggies and fruit, and don’t eat red meat. I never use convenience foods, I get around by public transportation and the Lift car service when I come home from the grocery store. I don’t know how much more I can do to cut down my expenses..

I tried growing my own veggies in a container a couple years ago, but I wasn’t very successful. Any Advice I will appreciate!

FreebieQueen

@msjunerose 1069096 wrote:

I’m a Senior and retired, I am on Food stamps, they are only $135 a month. I am also on Social Security, that almost covers my Mortgage payment, my house will be paid off in about 2 years. I am very worried about my future, my sons do help out with some of my expenses but I don’t want to keep depending on them, as they have a life of their own. I wonder, what should be the average amount a Senior spends on groceries, I am very frugal I make my own bread, use only fresh veggies and fruit, and don’t eat red meat. I never use convenience foods, I get around by public transportation and the Lift car service when I come home from the grocery store. I don’t know how much more I can do to cut down my expenses.. I tried growing my own veggies in a container a couple years ago, but I wasn’t very successful. Any Advice I will appreciate!

It sounds like you’re already doing quite a bit to reduce your expenses.

Where do you live? (City, state)

There may be resources around you that you’re not aware of, such as Farmers Markets, co-ops, Aldi stores, etc that can help reduce your expenses. Where do you tend to shop for your groceries?

Have you thought about taking in a roommate? I’m sure there are other seniors having financial difficulties too.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login Register

Budget101 Discussion List Archives Senior Savers Starting to get worried.