- February 23, 2009 at 6:33 pm #270938
Spicy Slow Cooker Black-Eyed Peas
• 1 pound dried black-eyed peas
• 1 meaty ham bone
• 1 cup chopped onion
• 2 to 3 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 cup diced cooked ham, if desired
• 3 ribs celery, diced
• 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
• 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
• 1/2 teaspoon seasoned pepper blend, or to taste
• dash crushed red pepper or ground cayenne, to taste
Following package directions, soak the black-eyed peas overnight or put in a pot, cover with water, boil for 2 minutes, then let stand for 1 hour.
Drain. Cover the drained peas with fresh water and simmer for about 1 hour longer, until just tender. Add to slow cooker with remaining ingredients.
Meanwhile, place remaining ingredients in the slow cooker and put on low setting.
when peas are just tender, add to the slow cooker. cover and cook on low for about 6 to 8 hours, until peas and vegetables are tender. Cut ham from the bone and dice.
Taste peas and adjust seasonings, adding more salt and pepper as needed.
Serve with hot boiled rice and cornbread. Add greens or coleslaw to the menu for extra good luck on New Year’s Day.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.