2 teaspoons curry powder
      1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
      Pinch ground cayenne pepper (optional)
      3 (15 oz) cans 100 percent pumpkin or 6 cups of chopped roasted pumpkin*
      5 cups of chicken broth
      2 cups of milk
      1/2 cup brown sugar
      1/2 cup heavy cream

1 Melt butter in a 4-quart saucepan over mediium-high heat. Add onions and garlic and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 4 minutes. Add spices and stir for a minute more.

2 Add pumpkin and 5 cups of chicken broth; blend well. Bring to a boil and reduce heat, simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.

3 Transfer soup, in batches, to a blender or food processor. Cover tightly and blend until smooth. Return soup to saucepan.

4 With the soup on low heat, add brown sugar and mix. Slowly add milk while stirring to incorporate. Add cream.

Adjust seasonings to taste. If a little too spicy, add more cream to cool it down. You might want to add a teaspoon of salt.

Serve in individual bowls. Sprinkle the top of each with toasted pumpkin seeds.

Serves 8.

*To make pumpkin purée, cut a sugar pumpkin in half, scoop out the seeds and stringy stuff, lie face down on a tin-foil lined baking pan. Bake at 350°F until soft, about 45 min to an hour. Cool, scoop out the flesh.

Freeze whatever you don’t use for future use.

Oh bless your heart! I haven’t canned pumpkin for more than 10 years and I was just given a truck load of them and was trying to remember how I did them in the oven so I didn’t have to peel them! Great recipe and very timely tip on the pumpkin!

I got these things all over my house so I’ll slowly whittle them down baking a couple batches each day and get it all canned up!

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Holidays & Special Occasions Thanksgiving Spicy Pumpkin Soup