Budget Menu & Dirt Cheap Recipes Dirt Cheap Dinners Spaetzles and Tomato Soup (Spaetzles are sort of like dumplins)

Tagged: ,

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

I use canned tomato soup and then add spices to make it taste better. Big can of soup $1.50-ish
      Now for the Spaetzles:
      About 2 cups rounded of flour
      2 eggs
      and milk to desired consistency.
      mix the spaetzle ingredients to a slightly runny dough consistency.
      I have a spaetzle maker, but other wise pour the mix (or part of it) onto a cutting board. ith a knife, cut off small pieces of the dough into a pot of rapidly boiling water.

Once you have all the dough cut and in the water, stir and let the noodles cook for 7-10 minutes (more time if the spaetzles are bigger). Most will be floating by this point.
      Drain.
      Put spaetzles into bowl and spoon soup over top. You pick how much of each thing you want in to you bowl.
      This is a family favorite in my house.

My mom taught me. We have a lot of Czech background on both sides of my family. I believe that is the basis for the spaetzles.
      total cost is $5 max and most things are on hand in a house anyway.

Participant

Spatzle is probably German in origin although it’s eaten throughout many European countries. Spatzle tends to be batter-like and can be made using a spatzle maker or a metal colander. If you are using a colander, you might want to make the dough a bit runnier so it will go through the holes.

I have made spatzle with a knife and cutting board, but it’s a pain.

I use a spatzle maker that has a hopper and you slide the hopper back-and-forth to make the dumplings. You’ll see the hopper spatzle maker in the Wikipedia article link I’m including with this post.

Wikipedia spatzle: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sp%C3%A4tzle

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Budget Menu & Dirt Cheap Recipes Dirt Cheap Dinners Spaetzles and Tomato Soup (Spaetzles are sort of like dumplins)