- This topic has 1 reply, 1 voice, and was last updated August 5, 2009 at 2:07 pm by .
- August 5, 2009 at 2:07 pm #274996
• 1 lb. red beans
• 1/2 lb. sausage, or more to your taste
• 1 onion (chopped)
• 2 sections garlic (finely chopped)
• 2 tablespoons celery
• 1 tablespoon parsley
• 1 lg.
• salt to taste
• pepper to taste
• 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper , or to taste
• 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper, or to taste
• 2 teaspoons cumin
Put beans in pot of water and rinse. Remove bad beans that float to top. Drain water off and put beans in deep pot with 8-9 cups water.
Bring to boil for 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat, cover and let set for 2 hours. Put back on heat at moderate to slow boil.
Meanwhile, saute in extra-light virgin olive oil, onion, garlic, parsley, and celery.
Add sausage to saute. Then add entire sauteed mixture to beans. Add bay leaf and spices to entire mixture.
Boil gently (simmer), stirring occasionally, for 2-3 hours, until tender and squishy. If mixture becomes too thick, add microwave-hot water to thin.
Cook white rice according to directions on box.
Serve hot bean mixture over rice. (I like it all mixed together, but try it both ways).
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.