- This topic is empty.
- July 2, 2021 at 10:34 am #599095
The South is known for our biscuits. It’s what kept families from going hungry. There may not have been enough money to purchase meat, but there was always flour and with flour a lot of food items can be made.
What’s wonderful about biscuits is that they don’t know any limitations! They’re good for breakfast – just a bit of butter or bacon grease; maybe some honey, preserves, or even syrup; plain, they are good to sop up some gravy or act as a shovel to scoop up eggs or grits.
Lunch – they can become the start of a good sandwich. Dinner – they are the best for sopping up gravy or pushing the last of the stew onto the spoon OR just dipping into the soup soaking up the flavorful broth. And let us not forget dessert…a bit of butter and a dusting of sugar satisfies a sweet tooth easily;-)
It’s hard to improve such a mighty food item, but it can be done.
Southern Biscuits with Sour Cream
1 cup all-purpose flour plus 1 1/4 cups cake flour
1 tsp salt
3 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
3 tbs butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
2 tbs shortening, chilled and cut in small pieces
3/4 cup sour cream, not low fat
1/4 cup whole milk, plus more as needed
Preheat oven to 425°.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Cut the butter and shortening into the dry ingredients with a pastry cutter or fork until it resembles corn meal.
- Make a well in the center of the dry mixture. Add the sour cream and 1/4 cup of milk.
- Stir with a wooden spoon or use hands to blend until mixture begins to hold together.
- Add a tsp of milk at a time if it appears too dry.
- When it is holding together but still looking somewhat crumbly, turn out onto a floured surface.
- Gently knead 8-10 times, then pat out to form a circle about 3/4- to 1-inch thick.
- Using a standard biscuit cutter, cut biscuits and arrange on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 12 to 15 min, until nicely browned on top and bottom. Serves 12-15
Attachments:You must be logged in to view attached files.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.