This topic contains 0 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Liss November 12, 2018 at 12:44 pm.

• Author

I saw these adorable snowman candy apples and I loved them!

You will need
    Caramel
    White Chocolate
    Marshmallows
    bits of candy to decorate the snowman with

Caramel:
    1/2 cup butter, cubed
    2 cups packed brown sugar
    1 cup light corn syrup
    Dash salt
    1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk

In a large heavy saucepan, melt butter; add the brown sugar, corn syrup and salt. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil, about 10-12 minutes. Stir in milk.

Cook and stir until a candy thermometer reads 248° (firm-ball stage). Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla.

Thread a marshmallow onto the stick first, then the apple. Dip clean dry apples in the caramel, let it set, then dip into melted white chocolate. Decorate as shown in the video above.

Liss
    Keymaster

Thank you for sharing this! Melting chocolate is available here on Amazon, or you can also use white chocolate chips. Just melt them in a double-boiler and add 1 Tbs of solid vegetable shortening (per 12oz pkg) to them as they melt. Be aware that white chocolate should never be heated over 110F as it will separate whereas milk chocolate can be heated slightly warmer.

Generally, I use this a digital spatula thermometer for homemade candies like these because chocolate is too expensive to accidentally ruin!

Btw, The point of the shortening is to give the finished chocolate a shiny coating and also help ensure it all sticks together.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login Register