Budget Menu & Dirt Cheap Recipes Cooking for Two Snap Pea and Radish Salad

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

At this time of year, we start thinking about lighter meals — either due to the temperature, what we plan for our garden, or to lose weight for the coming season (personally, I think that it will take a miracle to get me back into bikini shape…I just visited the doctor and I need to lose 49 lbs…sigh…). In any event the following recipe is great for combining ingredients that most don’t think of and it is great for the budget, using what you might have in your garden, and is soooo calorie friendly!

This is great for just a salad or a side for dinner;-D
      Snap Pea and Radish Salad
      3-4 oz fresh sugar snap peas, trimmed and strings removed
      3-4 large radishes, trimmed and sliced thin
      1 tbs chives, minced
      Kosher salt
      Dressing:
      2 tbs sour cream
      1 tsp prepared horseradish (or more to taste)
      1/8 tsp grated lemon zest
      Pinch kosher salt
      Several grinds fresh black pepper
      Blanch the peas: prepare a small (1-quart) bowl with an ice bath.

In a medium sauce pan, bring two quarts of water and two tsp of kosher salt to a boil. Add the peas and cook for four minutes. Skim the peas out of the boiling water with a slotted spoon and drop them in the ice bath.

When the peas have cooled, strain them out of the water and shake or blot them dry. If the peas are large, slice them in two on the bias.
      Place the peas and radishes in a medium bowl. Add about half the chives.
      To make the dressing, whisk the sour cream, horseradish, lemon zest salt and pepper together.

If the dressing is too thick to pour, add a teaspoon or two of water to thin it.
      Toss about half the dressing with the peas and radishes. Add more dressing if you wish and adjust seasoning.
      Plate the salad and sprinkle the remaining chives over the top.
      busy bee

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Budget Menu & Dirt Cheap Recipes Cooking for Two Snap Pea and Radish Salad