Sister Schubert’s Parkerhouse Rolls

Budget Menu & Dirt Cheap Recipes Mixes~MYO~Copycat~Etc Sister Schubert’s Parkerhouse Rolls

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      TLLuckart

showered with love* Exported from MasterCook *
      Parkerhouse Rolls
      Recipe By :Patricia ( Sister) Schubert
      Serving Size : 64 Preparation Time :0:05
      Categories : Family Favorite Parker House Variations
      Rolls Sister’s Specialties
      Amount Measure Ingredient — Preparation Method

1 package active dry yeast
      1 1/2 cups warm water — (105° to 115°)
      5 cups sifted all-purpose flour — divided
      1/2 cup sugar
      1 1/2 teaspoons salt
      1/2 cup shortening — melted
      2 large eggs — lightly beaten
      1/2 cup butter — melted
      1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
      Combine yeast and warm water in a 2 cup liquid measuring cup; let stand 5 minutes.
      Combine 4 cups sifted flour, sugar, and salt in a large bowl.

Stir in yeast mixture and shortening. Add eggs and remaining one cup sifted flour; stir vigorously until well blended. ( Dough will be soft and sticky.) Brush or lightly rub dough with some melted butter.

Cover loosely; let rise in a warm place ( 85°), free from drafts, 1 1/2 hours or until doubled in bulk.
      Grease 4 (8-inch) round cake pans; set aside.
      Sift 3/4 cup flour in a thick layer evenly over work surface; turn dough out onto floured surface. ( Dough will be soft.) Sift 1/2 cup flour evenly over dough. Roll dough to 1/2-inch thickness; brush off excess flour.
      Cut out dough using floured 2-inch biscuit cutter.

Pull each round into an oval, approximately 2 1/2 inches long. Dip 1 side of oval into melted butter. Fold oval in half with butter side facing out.

( Floured side will form the famous Parkerhouse Pocket.)
      For each pan, Place the folds of 10 rolls against side of prepared pan, pressing center fronts of rolls together gently to seal.
      Place 5 rolls in inner circle, and one roll in center for a total of 16 rolls per pan.
      Cover loosely, and let rise in a warm place, free from drafts, 1 hour or until doubled in bulk.
      Preheat oven to 400°.

Bake rolls, uncovered, for 12 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned
      Description:
      “The Secret to light-as-a-feather texture of these rolls: Don’t knead the dough!”
      Source:
      “Sister Schubert’s Secret Bread Recipes”
      S(Formatted For Mastercook):
      “02/20/2007 By Theresa Luckart”
      Copyright:
      “1996 by Oxmoor House Inc”
      Yield:
      “64 rolls”
      Start to Finish Time:
      “2:30”
      T(Bake):
      “0:12”
      Ratings : Five Star 5
      – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
      Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 77 Calories; 3g Fat (38.8% calories from fat); 1g Protein; 10g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 11mg Cholesterol; 67mg Sodium.

Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.
      notes : for this recipe, sift the flour into a large bowl before measuring out the amount called for.
      grandmother.wood gave me the original recipe for parkerhouse rolls, which came from a cook in her mother’s family. i don’t know the cook’s name, but i think she’d be
      pleased to know that so many people are enjoying her rolls after all these years.
      tluckart
      i don’t like to dip ovals in melted butter; i butter the pans and the brush the rolls after they are in the pan before rising. they also freeze well before rising.

she sells them in the freezer section of the grocery store lightly baked. i like to let them rise from the freezer and then bake; for fresh tasting rolls. ummm , delicious

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Budget Menu & Dirt Cheap Recipes Mixes~MYO~Copycat~Etc Sister Schubert’s Parkerhouse Rolls