Simple Trick to Keep the Bugs Away

Budget101 Discussion List Archives Tips-n-Tricks Simple Trick to Keep the Bugs Away

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      RosesBistro1234

How to Keep the Mosquitoes/Bugs away! Here’s a tip that we use every year while camping.

I thought it was common, but after camping this past week I was shocked at the number of people who commented that they didn’t know about it, so here it is!

Use a cardboard egg carton or coffee tray (the kind you get when you order a couple of coffees to-go) or a beverage holder from Mcdonalds/burger king, etc.

Light it on fire, then blow out the flame and let it smolder in a fire-safe location, such as in a grill, or firepit.

it works as a smudge to keep mosquitoes and other bugs far away! to make it even more effective, add a handful of dried sage leaves on top, not only does it smell wonderful, the bugs absolutely hate it.

12 Ways to Keep Bugs Away

1 Use a fan – even small battery operated fans provide adequate wind to keep pesky insects at bay.

2 Create a distraction- for example, to keep wasps away place a small piece of sandwich meat on a plate a fair distance away. They’ll flock to the plate instead of the picnic!

3 Put out the citronella – mosquitoes and other bugs hate Citronella plants and/or candles

4 Wear permethrin treated clothes

5 Get rid of standing water- mosquitoes breed in stagnant water, remove all instances of it such as bird baths. Alternatively, you can use mosquito dunks which dissolve and then keep them from reproducing successfully.

6 MYO Homemade DIY repellent– did you know that catnip has been scientifically proven to be 10x’s more effective than DEET? I didn’t either, but I’ve been making this spray for a couple of years now and it works a treat.

7 Grow plants for natural repellent- this helps 2 different ways. First, you can use plants like citronella to naturally repel mosquitoes away; OR, you can plant shrubs and flowers that attract dragonflies and other beneficial bugs that will consume the mosquitoes. Several plants, such as rosemary, lemongrass, garlic, marigolds, and mint, are also very effective at keeping mosquitoes away.

8 Attach Bounce dryer sheets to your clothing. I’ve only had success using that particular brand though!

9 Wear Natural bug repellents. Essential oils like lavender, rosemary, mint, and basil act as a natural bug repellent while you’re outside.

10 Make an herbal centerpiece for your picnic table. A bouquet of basil, lavender, lemongrass, rosemary, or mint will keep flies away and smell great.

11 Hide your drinks. Sugary and yeasty foods are especially attractive to flies, so the more wine, beer, and soda you have on the table, the more enjoyable it will be for them. Just drink out of lidded cups, put the bottles or cans in a sealed cooler between pours, and clean up any spills right away.

12You can also use a cupcake liner upside down with a straw in it to make a fast lid for a beverage.

cocktail cover
      Source: MarthaStewart Living

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Budget101 Discussion List Archives Tips-n-Tricks Simple Trick to Keep the Bugs Away