Budget Menu & Dirt Cheap Recipes Dirt Cheap Dinners Simple Sloppy Joe Squares

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

If you want a really simple dinner, casserole style, here’s a recipe for delicious sloppy joe squares!
      1 lb lean ground beef or turkey, browned & drained
      1 recipe of sloppy Joe sauce (we use this homemade recipe here)
      2 cans crescent dinner rolls
      2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese (8 oz)
      1 tablespoon sesame seed
      1 pkg frozen corn, thawed (optional)

Pre-Heat oven to 350°F.
      Brown the ground beef or turkey over medium heat, drain if needed. Add the sloppy joe sauce (we use the recipe here), but you could use a can of sloppy joe sauce if you wanted. Bring the mixture to a boil.

Line a 9×13 casserole dish with 1 can of the crescent rolls (unroll them, obviously) and then press them to make an even layer covering the bottom.

Spread the sloppy joe mixture over the crescent dough. Then add a layer of cheese and if you wan’t add a layer of corn (use a bag of frozen that has thawed & drained).

Top with the second can of dough
      Sprinkle with sesame seeds, if desired.
      Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until mixture is bubbly and dough is golden brown. Cut into squares to serve.
      Serves 8
      Recipe adapted from Pillsbury

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.

Thank you for sharing, those sound amazing and very easy to make. I also use the sloppy joe sauce recipe from the site, but I make triple batches of the sauce and then freeze it so I can just grab it and use it for things like this. I just put a bit of hot water in the sink and set the frozen bag of sauce in it.

takes about 15 minutes to thaw (that’s if I forget to pull it out before I go to work).

yum!!!!! on the meal plan for next week!!!!

Participant

Sounds easy, yummy, and far less messy than traditional sloppy joes! LOL!

We tried this one last night using the sloppy joe seasoning mix here on the site, it was excellent. If you lightly spray the pan with olive oil before you start and let it rest 10 minutes before you start serving, it comes right out of the pan clean and stays together. If you try serving it right away, the sloppy part comes in full force!

Participant

SHFT, thanks for sharing that info! We all want the easiest way to go;-D

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Budget Menu & Dirt Cheap Recipes Dirt Cheap Dinners Simple Sloppy Joe Squares