- March 9, 2013 at 9:02 pm #315786
2 tbsp evoo
20 small pearl onions-peeled or frozen (I usually use large white onion-roughly chopped)
2-2 1/2 lbs beef chuck-cut into 1 inch cubes
2 tbsp seasoned flour (AP flour + 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper)
s and p-to taste
1-2 cups burgundy wine OR red grape juice
2 cloves garlic-minced
3/4 cup beef stock
8 oz tomato sauce
2 tbsp dry minced parsley
1 bay leaf
12 oz fresh mushrooms
2 tbsp butter
1. Lightly brown onions in oil. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
Dry meat with a paper towel. Sprinkle meat with seasoned flour. Add to skillet an brown on all sides; without crowding.
May have to brown in multiple batches.
3. Add wine or juice, garlic, stock, tomato sauce, and herbs. Bring to simmer; cover and cook for 1 hour.
Add cooked onions.
4. Recover and cook 1 – 2 hours more.
5. Clean, trim, and quarter mushrooms. Heat butter and saute 4-5 minutes.
Skim an visible fat and add mushrooms.
Serve over hot buttered egg noodles.
If needed, can thicken and tighten sauce by adding 2 tbsp flour or cornstarch with 1/2 cup water. Whisk into dish while boiling. Cook to desired consistency.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.