Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

I would like to see more shopping and menu planning from anyone who has struggled with a small food budget, Getting the most out of your shopping and meal planning.

Participant

I post a menu every week. The meals that I prepare are for a minimum of four servings. Since I live alone, the leftovers end up being lunch.

Please take a look at the fabulous menus that are posted here AND take a look at Liss’s other site — GroceryBudget101.com- – GroceryBudget101.com – Reduce Grocery Bill to $50 week — to save money.

Thanks so much for the weekly menus. My wife and i live with her mother who is very picky about what she eats. I’m quite adventurous about food and willing to try most anything.

I could use a little help as my household is increasing to 10 ppl 4 adults, 6 children – 2 are picky eaters the only income being added in is from my oldest son who just moved in 2 weeks ago so now once a month i’ll have around 400 in food stamps plus at least 400 from cash from my hubbys job and my sons income. I prefer to make a lot of things homemade and buy buy bulk sugar and flour and meats. but need a way to make more out of our food budget as the addition of 2 more people.

Participant

musemicw, you have given me a challenge! lol! i totally understand your position and for the next few menus i will put a ‘&’ at the meals that i prepare that i think that you might be able to prepare affordably;-d i usually prepare meals for four (this way i have lunches, etc.).

as far as your picky eaters go (sorry, i have no patience for them), my df’s solution was to put a dollop of ranch dressing on whatever food that they wouldn’t eat…it worked 100% of the time! LOL!

@Taryn 536094 wrote:

I would like to see more shopping and menu planning from anyone who has struggled with a small food budget, Getting the most out of your shopping and meal planning.

Here’s a great link that explains how to begin menu planning on a meager budget and determine what kind of menu plan works best for you and your family.

GroceryBudget101.com- – Menu Planning | Learning How to Budget Grocery Spending

I can understand the situation you’re in.

Good luck with your planning.

@musemicw 569365 wrote:

I could use a little help as my household is increasing to 10 ppl 4 adults, 6 children – 2 are picky eaters the only income being added in is from my oldest son who just moved in 2 weeks ago so now once a month i’ll have around 400 in food stamps plus at least 400 from cash from my hubbys job and my sons income. I prefer to make a lot of things homemade and buy buy bulk sugar and flour and meats. but need a way to make more out of our food budget as the addition of 2 more people.

Keymaster

@musemicw 569365 wrote:

Hi there, welcome to the site! We have a section on the site called big families (which is a bit limited right now- sorry about that) but we’re working on adding more. The best recipes for big families are casserole style and if you’re looking to extend the groceries, you might want to give Quinoa a try. It’s quite healthy, easy to cook and adds a kick of protein to meals.

Here is an article with tips for feeding additional people:

Budget101.com – – Cutting Costs with Big Families | Dirt Cheap Recipes for A Crowd

Hopefully, that will give you a place to start!

Participant

Liss is so right about quinoa! It is really is inexpensive and so versatile. You can make so many things with it — soups, salads, casseroles, etc.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.