- This topic has 1 reply, 3 voices, and was last updated September 8, 2012 at 9:09 pm by .
- February 13, 2012 at 9:33 pm #303413
This is a box of macaronni and cheese, one can of diced tomatoes and a can of peas. Make the macaronni like on the box, add one can drained tomatoes and one can drained peas. Total cost $2. My kids love it
- September 8, 2012 at 1:47 am #432883
The Shipwreck recipe I use usually has seven layers of goodies. I’d have to look up the exact recipe but I do know rice, ground beef and tomatoes are added in layers to make up a thrifty casserole.
- September 8, 2012 at 9:09 pm #432897
Here’s a good and frugal recipe for ‘Shipwreck Dinner’ and Calico Beans. They recipes are similar.
1/2 lb ground meat
1/2 cup onions-diced
2 cloves garlic-minced/grated
2 (15-16 oz) cans diced/stewed tomatoes
1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
4 medium potatoes-thinly sliced
1/2 cup rice
1 (15 oz) can kidney beans-rinsed well
1 tbsp chili powder
s and p-to taste
choice of seasoning or spices-to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Brown ground meat, onion, and garlic in a skillet.
3. Drain fat.
4. Stir in meat mixture and all other ingredients in a prepared baking dish.
5. Cover and bake at 350 for 1 1/2 hours or until potatoes are done.
1/2 lb ground meat
1 large onion-diced
2 garlic cloves-minced/grated
1 (15 oz) can pork and beans
1 (15 oz) can kidney beans-drained well
1 (15 oz) can lima beans-drained well
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup ketchup
2 tbsp vinegar
1/2 tsp pepper
other spices or seasonings-to taste
1 tsp mustard-*optional
1. Brown ground meat, onion, and garlic in a large skillet. Drain fat.
2. Add the other ingredients and mix.
3. Cook on med-low for 1 hour or can bake in oven in a prepared baking dish for 1 hour at 350.
The price of the dish can be lowered if using prepared dry beans instead of commercially canned.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.