Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Avatar for BiggerPiggyBankBiggerPiggyBank
      Participant

Shepherd’s Pie
      1lb of ground beef, (with chopped onion, if you have it) microwaved or browned in the skillet, (you can mix leftover gravy with the meat, if you have it, if not, add a little water). Place in a greased casserole dish and top with a layer of whatever vegetables you have handy – frozen corn, peas, or green beans are good, or any leftover veg, then mashed potatoes to cover. If it’s a really lean week, skip the vegetable layer and just go with mashed potatoes and serve whatever vegetable or salad makings you have on the side.
      Place in a greased baking dish and cook at 400 degrees (or broil for a short time) until the top gets golden brown.

Serves 4.

I have to say that I have never had this dish. It sounds very interesting and economical. I think I will try this out soon.

i had it for the first time ever last week and know i will be fixing some for us… i might even change it up a bit. we like chicken a lot here, so maybe I will cook chicken, chop it up and season with taco seasoning then layer the rest as it is…

will have to let you all know how it turns out!

just thought i would let you know i decided to do my chicken version of shepherds pie like i said i should try! it is good. we will be doing this type of stuff more often!

I just made shepherd’s pie last night but topped it with biscuts instead of mashed potatoes. I pre-cooked the biscuts a little because the last time I tried to top something with biscuts they pretty much turned into mush. I didn’t have enough biscuts to cover the whole thing so I cut them in half (so I had tops and bottoms) and sprinkled some parmesean over the top.

I also sauted some onions before adding the meat and then sprinkled a little garlic powder. Once that was nearly done I added about 1/2 cup of red wine (Wal-Mart had it on sale for $2.97 It didn’t tase very good but it was great for cooking). I like the flavor cooking with wine adds, especially to a dish like this.

FYI there’s also a wine by Charles Shaw that sells at Trader Joe’s for $2 a bottle and it tastes great (I actually had bottles of it on the tables at my wedding).

For the vegetarians out there I have also made this with ground meat substitute such as Boca or Morningstar brand and it turns out great! You can also use vegetable broth mixed with a little flour or cornstarch to make a gravy to put in this – mix the flour or corn starch to the vegetable broth in small amounts to avoid lumps.

my variation…mix cream of cerlery or mushroom soup with potatoes and add cheese on top.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.