Share your Favorite Frugal Date Idea

Budget101 Discussion List Archives Budget Vacations & Frugal Date Ideas Share your Favorite Frugal Date Idea

Viewing 21 reply threads
  • Author

B101 Beat the Clock Challenge! Share your favorite (inexpensive) date ideas – when times are tough and you need to “get away from it all” what are some of your favorite things to do?

Be creative! This prize for the randomly selected winner will receive a Gift Certificate to a Restaurant in their area so they can enjoy their Own Date night!

This is a Beat the Clock challenge and it can end at any time, so hurry.

[b101][/b101]

We really enjoy just staying in, making dinner, listening to music while playing cards. Sometimes we go out to a local bar for the All You Can Drink $10 MYO Bloody Mary Bar and play trivia ($10 = 2 hours of drinks & fun). Really we are very boring, when I think about it 🙂

There is a seafood place about thirty miles from here and we drive there for a shrimp po’boy sandwich. The restaurant is on the waterfront so we enjoy our food and watch the birds and the traffic on the water. It may be boring for some, but at our age, it is very relaxing and that is important to us oldies.

We go to RaceTrac and split a large cappucino ($1.80 w/tax), then sit and talk. Or we will find a B1G1 coupon to somewhere we haven’t been, and try it out. Or – our latest – I will give my husband the scissors and coupons to cut, and I’ll sort them and write the shopping list, and then we hit the store and do our shopping and see how much we can save.

Beats going grocery shopping alone (or with the kids).

@Budget101 322823 wrote:

B101 Beat the Clock Challenge! Share your favorite (inexpensive) date ideas – when times are tough and you need to “get away from it all” what are some of your favorite things to do?

Be creative! This prize for the randomly selected winner will receive a Gift Certificate to a Restaurant in their area so they can enjoy their Own Date night!

This is a Beat the Clock challenge and it can end at any time, so hurry.

I love to go the coast and listen to the roar of the ocean while spending time with my hubby. We think it is restful and a relaxing enjoyable time.

Clasic country plays on radio on Saturday nights. Every once in a while we enjoy riding around like teenagers and listening (me very poorly singing along) to good clasic country songs. Being together and goofing off just makes me happy.

My second all time favorite date is tuned into our creative minds. We both love diy projects and that is what got us started on our favorite date. We load up just the two of us in the car and go to Lowe’s or Home Depot and we search the aisles for ideas and designs we would like to incorporate into our next diy.

Afterward we stop and grab a treat (usually ice cream) and a drink. We then take a quiet walk along the beach or river front.

My all time favorite is something we have only begun recently. When we need to get away we walk out our back door and take the steps down to the canal that backs our house. We sit on the wall and just breath in the fresh air (while contemplating if there really is an alligator living in the canal) and watching the water flow and fish jump.

A very tranquil past time, at least till the mosquitoes start biting or a kid figures out where we are.

We like to pull out our collections and play with them. Toy car collections are great fun!

Sometimes we go to the $3 movies and then go to the fast food place after for the $1 menu and go to park or rest area and put the top down on my car and just watch the stars and talk about retiring and where we want to visit. Peaceful and relaxing.

Some other things we like to do istake walks on the beach and look for smooth rocks, turn on pandora and dance and sing to oldies, cooking dinner together (kids and all), my husband has given me spa nights with ful body massages, annd i love to, when i am able to, surprise my husband for some lunch at his work. My van has a tailgate option in the back so I’ll go to our favorite sushi restraunt and get a lunch special ($10 buys three rolls, I usually get two rolls) and we’ll enjoy a wonderful treat and some pecial time together!

A picnic on the beach is my favorite frugal date.

My Husband and I grab a pkg of bolgna some fritos and bread . Spread a blanket under a tree in our yard and pretend to be any where but home. Its about the company not the food.it always seems to work.

snorkeling and a simple picnic, sit by the beach & talk

go get a raspberry salad and head to the park with our grandkids

We usually pack a picnic lunch and go to the state park down the road from us a little ways. We spread out a blanket and just enjoy each others company. Sometimes we geocache in the area, if we can find new ones that are nearby without having to drive around too far.

A picnic on the beach(or lake/park if you are not fortunate to live by the beach) at sunset was always a fabulous date for me. All it cost is usually the food you already have and maybe swing by to pick up some strawberries…;) And remember when the sun starts to go down, not only is it beautiful, but it gets a little chilly. So remember to take a blanket so you can snuggle up with your special someone.

We go to our local Mexican Restaurant and eat as many chips and salsa as we can to help fill us up and share a couple of ala-cart enchilladas and a margarita. With a tip it runs about $12.

Or we eat at home then find a bar that has a free pool night and karaoke (pool for him, microphone for me) and we buy a pitcher or two (or three) of beer and make new friends. Total there is usually $15-20.

We also really enjoy putting the kids to bed and having a couple drinks in our office while surfing youtube for old songs from our teenage years and watching short comedy clips. What starts as an assumed hour or two usually takes us into the wee hours of the morning before we realise it.

I like to mark our anniversary every month, I set the table nicely, get out the candles, and plan my special menu a few days prior to the event, after tea we settle in to watch a movie through winter, or we have a walk around our colonial township in summer. The important thing is just being together, whatever we do. I have also done a foot massage evening, which was a great way to relax and enjoy ourselves.

Hubs and I will usually buy some shrimp, make a shrimp scampi or alfredo with homemade garlic bread, set the table with a nice tablecloth, some candles and some herbal tea. We usually feed the kids about 2 hours earlier that when we have our date night dinners and then we shoo them into their respective rooms so we can have some quiet time…with strict instructions that unless something is on fire or bleeding or you can see a bone, we are busy.

We live in a city, so we explore the city as if we were tourists, cheap tourists, but we have a lot of fun. We search the internet for free or nearly free museums we haven’t seen, new parks to check out, we go for drives through neighborhoods that we have never been in before. For special occasions we have gone to bed and breakfasts, taken a horse drawn carriage ride, and also taken historical tours.

It is really amazing all the things you can learn that you never knew about a town you have lived in for years!
      We also will hit different Farmer’s markets in town sometimes to see what kinds of crafts and wares they offer that are different than our neighborhood. We call these Saturday excursions “Dates” as we both have made Saturdays “no fly zones” for our kids, jobs, and anything else that would interrupt our fun time that we get to spend totally together just doing fun stuff.

Every August through October there are meteor showers. When my kids were growing up, we would make an annual excursion 40 or more miles away from the nearest town, to go lay back on blankets and watch the shooting stars. We would have a contest to see who could spot the most per hour.

We would leave the house to arrive around midnight, and it usually lasted for 2-3 hours. The kids have told me that was one of the things they really enjoyed.

My husband & I live in Arizona. Our fav place is right outside the door, on the patio. We live at the edge of town so get a lot of cute quail and wildlife to watch as we’re sipping coffee or iced tea (depending on the weather).

We love the quiet and time together and it costs almost nothing! 🙂

Viewing 21 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Budget101 Discussion List Archives Budget Vacations & Frugal Date Ideas Share your Favorite Frugal Date Idea