Budget101 Discussion List Archives Health & Home Remedies Share your Best Home Remedy . . .

Viewing 59 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

We’re Issuing a Budget101 Challenge! What’s the Best Home Remedy you ever tried?

• what was the issue
      • what was the remedy
      • how did it work for you?

want to know what you’re playing for this challenge?

an essential Oil Starter Kit from Amazon (given to 1 randomly selected recipient from all of the replies below).

Challenge can end at any time, so hurry to play!

[b101][/b101]

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.

One of my favorite home remedies is to sniff my natural peppermint oil when I need to relax and wind down.

My favorite home remedy is also a DIY project. Whenever we paint a new room we add essential oils to the paint. In bedrooms we use Lavender Essential Oil- it creates a soothing, calming effect.

In the Living room or dining room we use Peppermint, it’s invigorating. In the laundry room we use chamomile, it just smells nice all the time.

We use about 15 drops per gallon and it really changes your mood!

Participant

The most amazing home remedy I ever tried I actually got From budget101.com – it’s the Flu cure and boy does it ever work. we used this exclusively all last year and it made a huge difference in our house. we don’t make the tincture we follow the directions for the capsules instead.
      the complete directions are here on the site – Budget101.com – – UnExpected Flu Cure | How to Cure the Flu | How to Prevent the Flu before it Hits

The only thing that I would mention is that even with the capsicool it’s not a good idea to take them right before bed, you’ll get heartburn. We use this on everyone in the house the minute they start to get an sniffle of any kind and NONE of us missed a day of work or school last year because of it.

Participant

I have a second one that I know for a fact works like a charm. My nephew got a wart on the side of his foot. My sister took him to a dermatologist who froze it off, but it came back a few weeks later.

So she put duct tape on it and completely sealed it. They left it on for 30 days, changing the duct tape every 3 or so days. On about day 30 when they went to remove the tape, the wart came off with the tape, I mean completely off.

and it never came back.

My home remedy I have tried for sour throat is gargle with peroxide. It works every time.

My boss actually told me about this one when I was at work one day and I had a horrible headache, enough so I was ready to go home. He said to put a pencil between my teeth and DONT bite down.
      When you do that it causes you to automatically relax your jaw. Most headaches are actually caused by subconsiously clenching your teeth!

It worked really well! I guess when I’m working I concentrate so hard, I clench my jaw.

I have a few different ones that I’ve used the work great:

1. Lemon Balm Tea will Cure a Cold Sore, make a hot tea, let it cool enough to apply and apply to cold sore several times a day with a cotton ball. Use a new cotton ball each time
      2. Use Listerine for Blisters- to get rid of blisters on your hands, dab with a listerine soaked cotton ball, works great!
      3. Motion Sickness- sucking on olives or lemons will cure motion sickents. They release tannins- which in turn dry out the excess saliva in your mouth that you get when your naseaus

those are my .02¢ Worth!

My issue was, every time I went to use my brown sugar it was a hard brick! No mater what I tried, be it Ziplock bags, canisters, nothing! I didn’t use it very ofter so it just dry up into this unusable brick.

The fix?? Now I keep it in a mason jar with a screw on lid. Now every time I go to use it it’s soft and moist just like I opened a brand new bag.

I just scoop out the amount I need and screw back on the lid. Works perfectly!

My favorite remedy is my treatment for athlete’s foot. I applywwhite vinegar to the affected area after my daily shower. The athlete’s foot symptoms disappear within a week.

The vinegar is both less messy and much less expensive than purchased treatments.

My best diy, so far (i’m trying super laundry sauce this morning!), is homemade window cleaner that my fiance was fooled by. he would only use windex! i don’t remember where i got it from, but here it is!

it’ called:

ed’s recipe for homemade windex – makes 1 Gallon

Mix 1 cup of ammonia
      1 pint of rubbing alcohol
      1 tablespoon of hand dish-washing liquid (do not use more or streaking may result)
      Top with enough water to make 1 gallon

You can make it in an old laundry detergent container (a recycled gallon milk jug would also work), which is used to refill an old Windex (or equivalent) spray dispenser. If you like, you may add a couple of drops of food coloring, so it actually looks like Windex, but it is not necessary.

* I used Dawn dish detergent. Let me tell you, this stuff works great! (My personal note!)

Problem–getting foil into the corners of a pan. Turn pan upside down and mold foil over it, remove foil and just slide it into the pan. It is shaped to fit.

I really do not have any. I guess our landlord told use to put a coffee can of water in our bedroom and your skin will not get dry and you will not get colds in the winter ( the plaster walls absorb the moisture in the air). For the past 2 years we have not had a cold, sore throat or any thing like it, so I guess it works.

I use to get sore throats all the time, and a nagging cough in the winter, cannot remember the last time I had either.

Best Home Remedy: In Florida we often get sunburns so my remedy is to put your aloe vera gel or your lotion in the fridge to cool before applying to skin twice a day to rehydrate and alleviate redness.

I wasn’t wearing my wedding ring because it was pretty dirty and I admit, I wasn’t really trying to find a cleaner. One of my FB friends posted a homemade recipe, so I gave it a try. Super easy to make and super easy to use.

It worked beautifully.

Here it is:

1 tablespoon salt
      1 tablespoon baking soda
      1 tablespoon dish detergent
      1 cup water
      1 piece aluminum foil

Directions:
      1. Heat water in the microwave for 1 or 2 minutes.
      2. Cut a piece of aluminum foil that roughly covers the bottom of a small bowl (like a cereal bowl).

Pour hot water into bowl. Place salt, soda, and dish washing liquid into bowl. Place jewelry on top of foil and let it sit for 5 to 10 minutes.

Rinse jewelry in cool water and dry jewelry completely with soft cloth. Discard solution after use and make a new batch next time.
      4. According to wire-sculpture.com, “this works well for gold-filled, brass, German (nickel) silver, and sterling silver.

I have even cleaned jewelry with freshwater pearls, shell cameos and mother of pearl with no problem.”.

Although I must admit, I DID take a toothbrush to it, just to make sure it was clean after the soak. My ring is Sterling Silver, btw.

My favorite home remedy is when you have a mosquito bite use a solid deodorant and rub over the bite, the itching will go away almost immediately.

I had been having tar on the side of my truck for months from when they were doing road work by my house. the other day my husband was using WD40 to fix his squeaky tool box and I remembered someone told me that it took off tar. I sprayed a little on it and wow it came right off with one wipe!

My favorite home remedy is to use a crushed 325 mg aspirin in a paste to apply to shingles lesions to stop the pain (caution don’t use this on chicken pox, because aspirin has been associated with Reye’s Syndrome in children); this is also a great way to dry up a pimple.

Eat cashews as a way to help firm up stools after a bout of diarrhea. It also calms your gut

Tape a small slice of raw potato to a wasp sting. It cools it and makes the sting go away very quickly. I usually leave it on at least overnight if the kids will not tear it off to check underneath.

A great remedy for any itchy bites or allergies especially for babies is a mix of corn starch and water until you get a thick paste. Put it on the bite and it will isolate the oxygen so it will stop itching…this is also non toxic as babies tend to rub any medication and put their fingers in their mouth…you won’t worry that way…

When my kids were little and would vomit I had a hard time cleaning it up because the smell would also make me vomit. So, a friend told me to put a couple of drops of peppermint extract on a mask or handkerchief an put around my face covering my nose and mouth. It works like a charm!

You don’t smell anything but the lovely calming peppermint. My daughter is studying to be a doctor and they do this when working with cadavers (without this the smell is unbearable!).

I have really bad motion sickness, especially on planes. A friend of mine, who is a nurse, told me to put an ice pack on the back of my neck and one on the front side of my neck (the part where you take your pulse). I thought it sounded kind of strange, but it really works!

And when I say that I have really bad motion sickness, it is an understatement. It is quite severe! My friend’s tip saved my last vacation!

Clorox for poison ivy. As soon as I see evidence of poison, I saturate a cotton ball with full strength Clorox. Works for me- I can see it starting to dry up by the next day

Well I have to home ideas that have worked great for me.
      1. If you burn yourself, no matter the severity squeeze mustard on the spot. I often will wrap with some gauze and leave on as long as it will stay or until the next morning.

There have been several incidents that should have been third degree burns but only have a slightly darker spot from the burn. This has worked on nice oil burns as well.
      2. A trick I learned working in an old fashioned butcher shop…if you cut yourself, grab salt, pour a generous amount in your hand and place it over the wound.

The salt helps the blood to clot and does not burn on a fresh cut.

Years ago, after my husband was in a head-on collision, I bought an old car with the last $100 I had. It was good enough to get the kids to the sitter and me to work. A side window was broken and my uncle brought me a piece of plexi-glass and traced the window and handed me a hacksaw blade.

It took me three evenings to cut it, all on top of working, taking care of an injured man, and fighting head lice on the kids. I ended up with extreme sinus pain that the pain killer they gave my husband would not touch.

I was desperate and I looked up pain and sinuses in an old book on health by Adele Davis and decided to try the following vitamins. I took 2,000 units of vitamin C, 1 calcium with magnesium, 1 vitamin A&D, 1 vitamin B complex, and 1 vitamin E. The pain was gone in 20 minutes.

I had to take this combination 3 times a day at first, and then after a few days, twice a day, and about 1 week after that just 1 time a day for three months to restore the health of my sinuses.

This is tasty and also great to calm an upset stomach!

Ginger Tea

1 1/2 teaspoons freshly grated Ginger-Root
      1 1/2 cups Boiling Water
      1 1/2 teaspoons Sugar, Maple Syrup, Honey or Agave Nectar
      a squeeze of Lemon (optional)

Place grated ginger into a 2 cup glass measuring cup. Fill to the 1 1/2 cup line with boiling water. Let sit for 10 minutes.

Strain into a large mug and stir in sugar (you may need more or less, depending on how sweet you want your tea). Taste; adjust if needed. Sip and enjoy!

Thanks; Virginia

My husband is on blood thinners and gets cuts and scrapes that bleed easy. Spray on deodrant stops the bleeding. This was recommeneded by his dermotologist.

Best Home Remedy: Swimmers Ear, orany other need you can find,

Equal portions vodka and peroxide, i use a small eye drop bottle, three(3) drop in the affected ear.

The peroxide bubbles out the fluid and the vodka evaporates it…

This also works great as an anticeptic on a cut, bug bites and the list goes on…

When my son was in High School there was a bit of rivalry with opposing teams. We came out side one morning to find our house TP’d and our cars spray painted. Distressed over the spray paint, we had no idea what to do to get it off. My brother told me to clean the paint off with carburetor cleaner.

Spray on a cloth and wipe the paint away. It will not damage the finish on your car. Worked like a charm!

My favorite is used for baby gas cramps. My son got gas cramps regularly as a baby, even though I was so careful with what I ate. I just rubbed peppermint oil along his large intestine.

Even as a couple weeks old, he would stop crying, and sigh in relief. So cute. I’m excited to use it on my next little one!

Cool idea, I’m loving all of these responses so far! My favorite home remedy is one is for Urinary Tract Infections & Bladder Infections. I have a sensitivity to alcohol, so if If I have a beer when out to dinner, or a wine cooler, I pay for it dearly.

If you get a Urinary tract infection, you can get rid of quickly by drinking 1/4 tsp of baking soda in 1 c. of water- it will knock it out of your system quickly
      If you have a bladder infection, you can drop a regular alkaseltzer tablet into water (as directed on the package) and it will cure even the most stubborn of Bladder Infections.

I don’t know why the products aren’t advertised for that, but they work like a dream. Also Pure Cranberry is excellent for bladder/urinary tract health too. Not the sugary cranberry-juice drinks, real cranberry.

If you can’t find real cranberry juice you can take cranberry extract capsules and they work well, just be sure to drink plenty of clear Water (not soft drinks/coffee/etc)

My favorite recipe is for rough feet. Add 1 cup of Listerine. 1 cup of vinegar and 2 cups of water.

Soak feet for 10 or more minutes. Wipe feet off. Your feet should be much smoother and toenails will be much whiter

My Favourite thing to share is.. if you have a bad headache, get eucalyptus 100 % pure essential oil , and put a few drops on kleenex and inhale for 10-15 minutes.. headache gone !

as it will help open the blood vessels in your brain.
      Also adding some eucalyptus oil and lemon oil to a spray bottle of water.. ( 15- 20 drops ) shake and spray to.. keep those pesty ugly spiders away ..

even works out side! but you must respray after rain.. and every so often to keep them away.

! It works… ask me how i know..

and it smells soooooo clean !

I use pure aloe vera juice (instead of water) and the combination creates a tasty drink that almost instantly makes me sleepy when I am having trouble getting to sleep!

@Virginia 323845 wrote:

This is tasty and also great to calm an upset stomach!

Ginger Tea

1 1/2 teaspoons freshly grated Ginger-Root
      1 1/2 cups Boiling Water
      1 1/2 teaspoons Sugar, Maple Syrup, Honey or Agave Nectar
      a squeeze of Lemon (optional)

Place grated ginger into a 2 cup glass measuring cup. Fill to the 1 1/2 cup line with boiling water. Let sit for 10 minutes.

Strain into a large mug and stir in sugar (you may need more or less, depending on how sweet you want your tea). Taste; adjust if needed. Sip and enjoy!

Thanks; Virginia

I use a baking soda/peroxide paste to brush my teeth once a week. I am constantly asked where I get my teeth whitened at ( I work with the public) and I always pass on this remedy to dull or stained teeth. I love seeing my clients smile the next time I see them with brighter teeth and they thank me for sharing my tip.

I also use a light layer of vasaline on my babies bottom with every diaper change. It makes cleanup a breeze when they fill their diaper and blocks the mess from their skin so they rarely get rashes. This also works for cloth diapers, it doesn’t clog the fabric like a rash cream does, as long as you wash them in hot water.

Well, I just did my first batch of canning fruit, preserves and fruit/herb ice cream sauses and let me tell ya about the fruit flies!!!…I used my grandma’s recipe from her days of canning….I take an old peanut butter jar, clean it out, put 1/4 cup cider vinegar and 1/4 cup of dish soap liquid..don’t stir…and set it out…works like a charm…just tell everyone in the house not to drink it or throw it out…it may take a couple of days …but it really does work…no more fruit flies…at least till I do my second batch of canning or buy more banana’s 🙂 …enjoy

My best home remedy carpet cleaner: I used this for 2 reasons. 1. Smell in the carpet from pets!

2. Dirt like huge black spot in carpet.
      Fill the tank on your carpet shampooer to just below the line on the fill part. Add one cap of Downy Fabric softner (do not use the Ultra) use the non concentrated.

Then add about 1/4 cup of white ammonia. The downy softens the carpet fibers and the ammonia neutralizes the pet odors. Also it pulls out all the dirt in the fibers.

You can also add 1/3 cup of oxi clean if you feel the need. My kids call it my carpet Voo Doo. But a lady many years ago gave me this recipe and it truly works

@Budget101 323682 wrote:

We’re Issuing a Budget101 Challenge! What’s the Best Home Remedy you ever tried?

• what was the issue
      • what was the remedy
      • how did it work for you?

want to know what you’re playing for this challenge?

an essential Oil Starter Kit from Amazon (given to 1 randomly selected recipient from all of the replies below).

Challenge can end at any time, so hurry to play!

Honey! Use a tsp or tbl spoon 2x a day when having a scratchy throat or not feeling well. Use it on the roof of your mouth if you burned it w/pizza,,use a dab on nicks and dings on skin to promote healing.

Mix it with lemon juice alone or with tea or favorite alcohol and warm it all up if you have a heavy cold. Honey is useful for anything! That and cider vinegar

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.

I will have to try this – there is so much road paving happening in the summer combined with the heat that makes tar stickier – this is a great idea of using WD40 to remove road tar!

I’ll have to try this on my Dad, he is no longer on blood thinners after they caused a brain bleed, but the skin is so thin on elderly people, he is constantly getting little cuts. Thanks for the tip! Spray deodorant would be great – will have to try this, hope it doesn’t sting!

When I was young with an ear ache my grandmother would pour a little peroxide on a spoon and poor it into my ear, let in bubble and turn your head over and let it drain out on a towel. Repeat it a few times a day, ear ache would clear up usually in 2 days or so.

Night time relief for a stuffy nose

Apply Vick’s Vapor Rub on the bottom of your feet and then cover with socks…
      As been used in my family for years.

For carpet stains you can rub ivory soap into the stain until it bubbles, blot, let it dry then vacuum.

Participant

I know this sounds really weird, but if you suffer from restless legs syndrome when you are trying to sleep at night, just unwrap a bar of soap and place it at your feet and it will stop immediately. I don’t know why it works, I just know that it DOES indeed work. I’ve used Irish spring and dove (not at the same time!)

I thought I’d throw my .02 in, while working at a restuarant owned by a couple of emt’s i learned that you can stop a nosebleed by pressing a cold butter knife to the back of their neck. the temperature of the metal caused the blookd to coagulates.
      according to those emt’s the correct procedure is to use one hand to run a metallic object along the patient’s spine while using the other hand to apply presssure to on both sides of the nose (the bridge of the nose), basically.

you can use pretty much any metallic object, even a bunch of cold keys would work.

My favorite home remedy is a spoonful of sugar on the back of the tongue to stop hiccups. Works for me every time!

My home remedy is a bug spray. My daughter has all the makings of mosquitto bait for a county. I mix whole cloves, and rubbing alcohol together, let it set for 4 days, then strain, add grapeseed oil and bingo!

She has not been bitten yet this summer, and my mother wants to make another batch for her. It works for blood suckers, horseflies, and the no-see-um knats. Love it!!

I have an allergy to band aid adhesives. I will break out in painful swollen itchy hives in the areas surrounding the contact point with blisters appearing in the direct are of contact. Generally these episodes require a trip to the hospital for a steroid shot and a follow up of medications.

When my cousin got married I wore a halter dress that I was unable to find a proper bra for so I decided to wear an adhesive bra as I have no reactions to regular tapes and adhesives (big mistake). by the end of the night i was miserable. apparently adhesives bras are just giant band aids.

my shoulders, neck, stomach, back and upper arms are covered in hives with hives plus blisters across my chest. i decided to try something different instead of going to the er and it worked beautifully, relieving the pain and itch as well as healing much quicker without the need for medication (or a hospital bill). first i steeped some chamomile in water and allowed that to cool before using it to wash the affected areas (about 2 or 3 teaspoons per cup of water). I then warmed some olive oil and rubbed it into the affected areas.

This combination of things relieved the symptoms so much quicker than medication and there were no nasty side effects.

One of my favorite home remedies is drinking pickle juice to instantly get rid of heartburn. (kinda runs off my friends too).

I use cut cucumber on my bathroom glass. Clean and sparkly and no fog ups.

I love using Vicks on the feet for a cough or a spoonful of honey. I also love using a bit of apple cider vinegar for heartburn or acid reflux. I don’t get it, but my hubby does and it works!

Keymaster

Congratulations to our Randomly selected winner: vigorously27

thank you all for taking the challenge & good luck on the next one!

curious as to how winners are drawn? Explanation here.

My best home remedy was to put clorox on my daughter’s wart that the dermatologist actually made bigger. After 6 months of treatment with the opposite result, it went away in 2 weeks.

This may sound a bit weird, but it does work and have had many friends and family attest to it…for cold sores rub your finger behind your earlobe and rub on the cold sore whenever you think about it. The cold sore will be gone in a day no matter the size. Apparently the oil behind your ear is Vit D.

Thanks for this goes to my wonderful Grandmother, can’t wait to see her again!

My daughter had poison ivy that was really itching and a friend told us to mix baking soda, sea salt, and enough warm water to make a paste. We put it on and it dried on her arm into a powder and took the itch away. Worked great!

My home remedy is..wash bug bites with soap and water, that’s usually enough to take away the sting. If not you can dab with rubbing alcohol. Works like a charm

I will have to remember this one 8 )

So how long do the smells last??

Tea Tree Oil is amazing and especially since school is getting ready to start. I put it into my shampoo to keep my kids from getting lice.

Head lice repulsive. I put 4 drops of tea tree oil in the shampoo bottle (350 ml) and mix well. I have used this for my four children who are 24,21,9 and 5, from the time they started kinder garden and through their school years and I have never had any of them come home with head lice.
      I shake the bottle well before use.

Viewing 59 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Budget101 Discussion List Archives Health & Home Remedies Share your Best Home Remedy . . .