Sausage and Egg Casserole:-o
      6 slices bread, cubed
      1 pound sausage, browned, drained
      1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
      8 eggs, beaten
      2 cups milk
      1 ts[, salt
      pepper to taste
      Place bread evenly in greased 9×13 pan or baking dish. Sprinkle evenly with sausage and cheese. Mix eggs, milk, salt and pepper.

Pour over ingredients in pan. May cover and chill overnight. (if left overnight, remove from refrigerator 15 minutes before baking).

Bake 45 minutes at 325 degrees or until set. Cut into squares to serve. Serves 8 to 10.
      this is great around the holidays when you have extra people visiting or portion up to the fridge and you have breakfast during the week;-)

jaime

Yumm. This sounds like a nice one for company. Can you make it ahead?

mos

you can make it the night before and stick in the fridge, just let it warm up some before putting in the oven or the baking time will be off;-) freezing would not be good either, I’ve tried…it gets kinda rubbery;-

jaime

Thanks! I will give this one a try when I have company for the holidays!

Jsquared

About how many does this typically feed?

mos

this makes 6-8 servings, depending on if there’s anything on the side like potatoes or fruit. you could possibly stretch it a bit farther, if you serve up something inexpensive like ‘Country Taters’ on the side;-) that would fill ’em up! so whip up two batches and make taters!

LOL!

Gatorgrlntn

My husband loves having Breakfast for dinner so i am going to make this tonight . I put it in the fridge this morning . Will see how this goes !

Gatorgrlntn

Just got it out of the oven and Oh my yes it is good and the kids love it !!!! my daughter said it taste like a sausage/ egg mcmuffin lol

mos

woo hoo! I love success stories;-) so glad that your family liked it!

FruGal

I have been making a recipe very similar to this for years; in fact, it is our traditional family Christmas breakfast (because it can be made ahead of time & refrigerated), along with cinnamon crescent rolls and a fruit salad. I get hungry just thinking about this one! Now I’m looking forward to Christmas breakfast!

mos

I made this casserole for a teacher’s brunch a gazillion years ago and dd’s teacher asked for the recipe. it’s been a tradition for her to make it for christmas eve dinner! lol!

this way she can have relaxing family evening before the hustle of the next day. her children are grown and on their own now, but she still makes it for her and her husband and anyone that shows up for dinner;-)

brchbell

Hey mos, Have you ever whipped these up and froze them? I’m still so buried in eggs right now and got my chest freezer half filled with them. Thinking this would also freeze good!

Just make sure you beat the eggs good before pouring them on! My crew won’t eat frozen pancakes or waffles but I’m betting they’d go for this baked fresh from the freezer!

mos

when I tried freezing, the eggs were a bit rubbery, maybe I didn’t beat the eggs long enough;- why don’t you try doing this as a single portion and freezing it. no frozen pancakes or waffles? do you use the toaster or the oven?

I like using the oven;-)

brchbell

Ok I’ll whip one up and try freezing it. When I freeze whole eggs, I whip them up and add 1/2 teaspoon of salt or sugar to it and they are fine to use during the winter month’s when the hens aren’t laying. So I’ll add a touch of salt when I make it up!

I use the frozen pancakes/waffles and they are fine but like my kids said they’d rather do them fresh and using a mix we keep ready it doesn’t really save any time freezing pancakes. Waffles, well they just like making them up occasionally and having fun adding different stuff to them. Same with donuts.

Not very often but when we do them up it takes a couple hours and we sure have fun with them. We make whole grain raised donuts and they are much better than store bought ever thought of being!

I’ll let you know about the freezer casserole later this week!

AnW819

This sounds REALLY good! Thanks for posting this!

jaime

I would love to have the whole grain donuts recipe brchbell!

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Budget Menu & Dirt Cheap Recipes Breakfast Ideas Sausage and Egg Casserole