Sales, unemployment and finding deals

Budget101 Discussion List Archives General Budget & Finance Sales, unemployment and finding deals

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      Liss

Susan,

My dh and i just moved back here to eugene from the portland area in march! it
      is really bad here, at least there i was able to work a few temp jobs (about one
      weeks work every 4 – 5 weeks) and here there just aren’t any.

Yes, keep looking for the deals. And once you have your food budget where you
      like it keep it there. I could feed dh and i for less than i do (i spend 200.00
      per month in food and “stuff” and I could do it for $75.00 – 100.00) but I use
      what I don’t NEED for the month to stock up on sales.

If there is a great sale
      on something I know we use I stock up on it until I spend the total of my
      grocery allotment.

In 2001 it really helped, my husband had cancer, and he spent most of 2001
      (February to December) either in the hospital or in treatment for the cancer.
      And during this time most of it was spent on disability income only. So, being
      able to stock up on things really does pay off in the long run.

Especially the non-perishibles… TP, shampoo, conditioner, soap (soap has a
      longer shelf life than a twinkie!), deoderant, feminine napkins (going to be
      making some of my own here shortly), dishwasher detergent, dishwashing liquid,
      fabric softener, laundry detergent… All of these items can be kept for a
      minimum of 2 years in storage.

Longer if kept at a constant temperature.

Most canned goods are good for at least a year and can be kept up to two years
      if they aren’t acidic or there is no rust on a can (anything over this and the
      food is nutricionally comprimised). Dehydrated food can be kept until my niece
      is old and grey.

If you have a food dehydrator a great way to keep tomato sauce longer is to do
      this. Open that can up, spread it on the fruit sheet that comes with your food
      dehydrator and dehydrate that tomato sauce into a powder. Not only does this
      concentrate the flavor and make it so you can store more of it in a smaller
      place, but it also makes it so that the tomato sauce can become tomato paste
      (depending on the amount of water you add to reconstitute it) and it makes it so
      that it will keep for decades in a glass jar instead of the months in a tin can
      (tomato is so acidic that it can even eat through the coating in the cans that
      are used to can it).

You would be amazed at the number of items you can dehydrate too. Mushrooms,
      spaghetti sauce, fruits, veggies, flowers, tomato sauce, pizza sauce… The
      number of items are endless.

I am sure there are more than I have listed, I
      just can’t think of them all off the top of my head. lol! and dehydrated items
      always cost a bundle at the store, just think of reaching into the cupboard for
      your own home grown and dehydrated herbs that cost you pennies, instead of
      dollars per ounce.

but, i am definately rambling now… lol! off to find other trouble to get
      into.

emily y.

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Budget101 Discussion List Archives General Budget & Finance Sales, unemployment and finding deals