- This topic is empty.
- July 5, 2021 at 7:24 am #599144mos
What is a trifle? It’s a pretty dessert that we Yanks brought to America from England and we, of course, improved it! They made a layered cake dessert with fruit and jam…we make it with custard and whipped cream! So on the day that we claimed our independence from England, we should have a Red, White, and Blue Trifle! Be sure to use a glass bowl for all to see such a pretty dessert (and the effort that you put in to make this delight)!
Red, White, and Blue Trifle1 cup boiling water
4-oz pkg strawberry gelatin
1 pound cake, cut into 1/2-inch slices
2 cups fresh strawberries, sliced ¼ inch thick
1 cup fresh blueberries
2 cups canned custard
2 cups whipped cream
**1/2 c. raspberries for Garnish on the top (optional)
1. In a small bowl, add 1 cup boiling water to gelatin. Stir until dissolved and allow to cool for 30 min.
2. Line bottom and sides of trifle dish with cake slices then pour in cooled gelatin. The cake will soak up the liquid and some may pool in the bottom of the bowl. Place in refrigerator for 2 hours.
On top of the cake, line the bowl with strawberry slices pointing up. Add a second ring of strawberries behind the first. Spoon and spread custard into trifle bowl until it is level with the tops of the strawberries.
3. Next, cover the custard layer with whipped cream.
4. Now spread the blueberries on top. If there are any strawberry slices leftover, decorate the top of the trifle, or you can use a few raspberries. Serves 12
Attachments:You must be logged in to view attached files.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.