Questions for Mos Re Cajun Pork Chops With Bacon and Onions

Budget Menu & Dirt Cheap Recipes Cooking for Two Questions for Mos Re Cajun Pork Chops With Bacon and Onions

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Yvonne

Mos~ I have some questions to ask you.

The first questions concerns the pork chops.
      Where do I find the Cajun seasoning in the grocery store and what is the brand name:?: Is there another kind of seasoning I can use:?: I bought groceries this afternoon and hunted for the Cajun seasoning but couldn`t find it.:frown: Also the pork chops I bought was boneless sirloin (the ones that are $1.99 Lb). Can I use them instead:?:

Here is the last quesion (I hope) 🙂
      Years ago, when I little, my mother made gumbo. I know it has okra and tomatoes in it, but I don`t know what else:017: Do you have a receipe for gumbo:?:

TIA

mos

Cajun seasoning can be purchased on the spice aisle with the ‘specialty’ spices. most of the famous chefs of New Orleans are selling their own blend now. or you can make your own (my blend) —
      cajun seasoning
      1 box salt
      3T black pepper
      2T garlic powder
      1t onion powder
      1t nutmeg
      2T parsley flakes (crunched)
      4T red pepper (ground) (cayenne)
      2T chili powder
      Combine all ingredients; store in an airtight container.
      the pork chops that you have are fine.

you can use any cut, just might have to adjust cooking time;-)
      LOL! gumbo is a catch-all term for whatever you have on hand. Cajuns cook what they catch, kill or raise, so it can have just about anything in it — even gator!

however, there are ingredients that must be in it that makes it gumbo. first you have to start with the roux…very important;-)
      Roux
      The fat used in roux may be butter, shortening, lard, oil, or even bacon drippings. Combine fat with an equal amount of flour — 1/2 cup of each will make a good amount and any excess can be stored in the refrigerator.

Melt the fat in a black skillet over low heat. When warm and fluid, sprinkle the flour in a little at a time, stirring. Stir constantly until brown (this may take 20 to 30 minutes).

Immediately remove from heat or add ingredients your recipe calls for. If it burns even slightly, throw it out and start over again.
      here’s a basic and most common gumbo recipe.

I’ll star the ‘must-have’ ingredients;-)
      Basic Gumbo
      1 1/2 cups crabmeat
      2 pounds shrimp, in shells
      3 quarts water
      2 small bay leaves *
      1 teaspoon lemon juice*
      1 small onion, cut in wedges*
      salt and black pepper *
      parsley *
      2 pounds okra, sliced*
      4 tablespoons bacon grease, divided*
      4 tomatoes, peeled & chopped *
      2 onions, finely chopped *
      2 green peppers, finely chopped*
      1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper, or to taste*
      4 tablespoons brown roux ****
      reserved shrimp stock *
      salt, pepper, thyme, parsley, to taste
      hot cooked rice*
      In a large Dutch oven boil the water with bay leaves, lemon juice, onion wedges, salt, pepper, and parsley.

Wash shrimp and add to pot. Boil for 2 minutes. Peel shrimp and return shells to the stock for later use.

Put shrimp and crab meat in refrigerator until ready to add to the gumbo.
      Saute okra in 2 tablespoons bacon grease in large heavy skillet. The okra will turn darker as it cooks. When okra is soft, transfer to a stew pot and add tomatoes.

Stir and mix together well. Clean skillet and heat remaining 2 tablespoons bacon grease. Sauté the chopped onion, green pepper, and red pepper.

When soft, add to the stew pot.
      In a saucepan, warm the roux. Strain shrimp stock and stir into the roux. When well-blended, add to the large stew pot with the other ingredients.

Bring to a boil and simmer for 1 1/2 hours, adding more strained stock if needed. Taste and add salt, pepper, thyme, and parsley to taste. Simmer for 1 to 2 hours longer.

Add the shrimp and crab meat and cook for 15 more minutes.
      Serve with fresh boiled rice in soup bowls.
      Serves 6 to 8.
      now don’t let this get you down if crab and shrimp aren’t in your budget. you can use chicken, fish, turkey, any kind of sausage, or even game fowl, or any combination of these. i starred the items that you need to make it gumbo so the meat that you use is whatever fits your budget.

enjoy!!!

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Budget Menu & Dirt Cheap Recipes Cooking for Two Questions for Mos Re Cajun Pork Chops With Bacon and Onions