Budget101 Discussion List Archives Budget101 Discussion List Questions about getting rid of all credit cards

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author

I only use a debit card. I have rented cars, u-hauls and made reservations on-line. The deal is you need to have the money in your account to cover the ‘deposit’ or charge that the business requires to ‘lease’ or ‘rent’ their product.

As soon as you fulfill your end of the deal…bringing the car/u-haul back in good condition they will automatically stop the charge. I’ve never had a problem there…Check your account on-line or call just to make sure, tho! Another thing about a debit card is if you use it to ‘pay-at-the-pump’ for gas you need to have enough money to cover more than a minor fill-up..usually at least $40 or more in your account even if you are only buying $15.

If you do not have enough it will not go through at the pump. If you are down to a bare minimum in your account, waiting on payday or have more shopping to do then go in and pay for your gas through the cashier. Also, be careful because some banks will allow a ‘debit’ even if you don’t have enough money in your account to cover the charge, esp.

if you are on a direct deposit.Be careful and treat your debit card just as you would a written check. They will ‘try’ to charge you a ‘over-draft’ fee. Don’t let them…just make sure that you know how much $ you really do have.

Try to get one that allows ‘free’ transactions at convenient locations for you. Try not to use your debit card if you have to pay any fees! They will add up!

First the merchant then your bank…arrgghh! Wasted $. Most merchants will allow a ‘cash back’ if you need a little $ in your pocket.

Always try to get small bills…4 $5’s if you want $20, that way you can spread the wealth without giving your kids or hubby the whole $20…lol!!! These are just my experiences with my debit card and now I don’t use anything else.

Good Luck!

Cyndy in Houston, tx

gas prices getting you down? search aol autos for fuel-efficient used cars.
      (https://autos.aol.com/used?ncid=aolaut00050000000007)

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Budget101 Discussion List Archives Budget101 Discussion List Questions about getting rid of all credit cards