question –tuna and kidney beans

Budget Menu & Dirt Cheap Recipes General Recipes question –tuna and kidney beans

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      trolycar

help I have over 30 cans of tuna fins and at least a dozen cans of kidney beans — I need some frugal recipes using either one

thanks much
      Nikki

Virginia

Here are a few recipes for you using Kidney Beans.

Turkey Chili

2 cups chopped Onion
      4 Garlic cloves, chopped fine
      1 cup chopped Bell Pepper (Green, Red, Yellow or other color or mixed colors)
      1/4 cup Olive Oil
      2 quarts plus 1/2 pint jars whole tomatoes, crushed (I think (not sure) you can get 35 ounce cans at the store you need 2)
      1 quart jar Kidney Beans, drained (2 15 ounce cans will work)
      2 Tablespoon Tomato Paste
      3/4 cup Turkey Stock
      2 Tablespoons Chili Powder
      1 Tablespoon ground Cumin
      1 Tablespoon dried Hot Red Pepper Flakes
      1 teaspoon dried Oregano
      1 Tablespoon Salt, plus more if desired to taste
      1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper
      4 cups of shredded, Cooked Turkey Meat (I like to use both dark and white meat)
      2 teaspoons Sugar

In a large, at least 8-quart, thick-bottom pot, cook the onion and green pepper in the olive oil over medium high heat, stirring, until golden, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, chili powder, cumin, and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring, for a minute or two more. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, stock. beans, oregano, salt, pepper, and cooked turkey meat. Bring mixture to a simmer and reduce heat to low. Simmer, uncovered, for an hour. Add Sugar. Salt to taste. Serve and Enjoy!

Note: Shredded cheddar cheese, chopped red onion and sour cream make good garnishes. Also, good served over rice or mashed potatoes.

Kidney Beans (for lack of a better title)

1 pint jar Kidney Beans (a 15 ounce can will work)
      1 Small Onion
      2 cloves Garlic
      Salt to taste
      Pepper to taste

Saute garlic and onion in medium saucepan over medium heat (about 5 minutes or until light brown). Drain 1/2 of the juice from the canned beans. Add the beans and the remaining bean juice to the garlic and onion. Add salt and pepper to taste. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer stirring frequently for about 20 minutes.

Vegan Baked Kidney Beans

1 can Kidney Beans
      1 teaspoon Mustard seed
      2 teaspoon Malt Vinegar
      3 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
      1 1/2 cups Water (I use Tomato Water — just the liquid (juice) of the fresh tomato with nothing added)
      1/2 cup BBQ sauce (depending on taste your may want more or less)
      splash Hot Pepper Sauce
      Salt to taste
      Pepper to taste

Put all ingredients into a pot, bring to a boil, reduce heat and stirring frequently allow to simmer until most of the liquid has evaporated. Serve and Enjoy!

Kidney Beans Hot Dish

2 Tablespoon Olive Oil
      2 medium Onions finely chopped
      2 inches fresh Ginger, peeled and finely chopped
      8 cloves fresh Garlic; peeled, crushed, and finely chopped
      4 large Tomatoes (chopped) or 1 26 oz can crushed Tomatoes
      2 teaspoons Salt if using fresh Tomatoes; 1 teaspoon Salt if using canned Tomatoes
      1 teaspoon Curry Powder
      1/2 teaspoon Turmeric
      1/4 teaspoon Paprika
      1/4 teaspoon ground Cumin Seed
      1 1/2 cups dried Kidney Beans or 2 15 ounce cans
      1/2 can Tomato Paste
      2 or 3 sprigs fresh Cilantro (chopped).

If you use dried kidney beans, you need to soak them for about 8 hours in enough water to thoroughly cover them. Then, drain and place in a pot with enough fresh water to once again cover thoroughly (You may want to add about 1 teaspoon salt.). Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until beans are tender (about 45 min.). Drain and set aside.
      Heat oil in a large skillet and then saute onions until they begin to wilt. Add ginger and garlic and mix well. Stirring often, allow mixture to cook for about 3 minutes.
      Add tomatoes. (Canned tomatoes are already cooked.) If using fresh tomatoes stir frequently until they are cooked. Add all the spices and salt. Stir well and allow to cook for 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in the drained kidney beans and tomato paste and cook another 4 or 5 minutes. Stir in Cilantro and serve. If not serving right away reheat and stir in Cilantro when ready to serve. Serve hot.

Note: When cooked like this I serve it as a side but I make it a main dish by adding a large zucchini and/or 1/2 pound ground meat or 1/2 pound firm tofu (depending if I want it vegan or not) at the beginning with the onions.

Three Beans Baked Beans

5 Bacon slices
      1 large Onion, coarsely chopped
      1 Tablespoon dry Mustard
      1 1/2 teaspoons dried Thyme
      3/4 cup Ketchup
      1/2 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
      1/3 cup dark Molasses
      1/3 cup (or more) water (I use tomato water)
      1 bay leaf
      1 pint jar red Kidney Beans, rinsed, drained (a 15 ounce can will work)
      1 pint jar Black turtle Beans, rinsed, drained (a 15 ounce can will work)
      1 pint jar Cannellini (white kidney beans), rinsed, drained (a 15 ounce can will work)
      1 teaspoon Hot Pepper Sauce

Preheat oven to 350°F. Cook bacon in heavy large ovenproof pot over medium heat until crisp. Using tongs, transfer to paper towels to drain. Crumble bacon and reserve. Add onion to drippings in pot and saute until almost tender, about 5 minutes. Add dry mustard and thyme and stir 1 minute. Mix in ketchup, vinegar, molasses, 1/3 cup water, bay leaf and all beans. Season with salt and pepper. Cover pot and bake 45 minutes, stirring occasionally and adding more water if necessary. Mix bacon into beans. Bake 15 minutes more. Discard bay leaf. Mix in hot pepper sauce and serve.

Hope this helps.

Note: Not sure what you mean by cans of tuna fins — if you have regular cans of packed tuna I might be able to help you on some recipes.

Thanks; Virginia

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Budget Menu & Dirt Cheap Recipes General Recipes question –tuna and kidney beans