Budget101 Discussion List Archives Homesteading PVC Chicken Feeders

This topic contains 5 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Diddla January 27, 2016 at 12:34 pm.

• Author

I came across this idea on Pinterest awhile back and saved the photo so that I could remember how to make them. You just use 4″-6″ pvc pipe, use a curved piece for the bottom and cap the top. they’re very simple to put together and it keeps the food off the ground, prevents the chickens from pooing in their dish and helps keep grain bugs out too.

here’s what i discovered though, do not mix scratch grains with the layer mash or pellets because if you do, the chickens will pull all of the food out of it and it will end up on the ground. haha.

at least i learned.

to refill them, just pop the cap off and pour the pellets down the top, let gravity do the rest. be sure when you install them that you don’t put them up too high or they’ll be difficult to fill.

i’m working on building the homemade self waterer now!

:chicky:

Great idea. This could work for our chickens.:stars:

This is awesome! Putting these in over the coming weekend.

The only thing I would do different is to be able to fill the tubes from the outside of the run. This looks like you have to go inside in order to fill the feed tubes.

Liss
    Keymaster

@farmerphronc 854229 wrote:

The only thing I would do different is to be able to fill the tubes from the outside of the run. This looks like you have to go inside in order to fill the feed tubes.

Cut round holes at the bottom of their pen, slip the bottom pvc piece through and glue it from the inside to the one on the outside (know what I mean??) and then attach the OUTside pipe as shown.

Sorry if I’m missing it, but where is the credit and link to original post? You can’t just save a photo from Pinterest and create your own web content around it without giving photo credit and linking to the website this was originally posted on. I would much rather read the original how-to, all you’ve given us here is a stolen photo and some opinions on it.

@diddla 1001800 wrote:

Sorry if I’m missing it, but where is the credit and link to original post? You can’t just save a photo from Pinterest and create your own web content around it without giving photo credit and linking to the website this was originally posted on. I would much rather read the original how-to, all you’ve given us here is a stolen photo and some opinions on it.

:dq: your post is rather rude. haven’t you ever saved a photo to your computer so you’ll remember how to do something? if not you haven’t been on the internet very long.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login Register

Budget101 Discussion List Archives Homesteading PVC Chicken Feeders