Budget101 Discussion List Archives Budget101 Discussion List Price Book…in this economy, why bother?

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author

I know what you mean! Food prices are
      getting scary out there.

Here are the things that help us get
      through:

1) My top tip is power couponing. I have mentioned it before in this
      forum but it saves us SO much money on groceries that it bears mentioning
      again. I have no intention to sit there and clip coupons so I had to find a way
      to make it work for us. Here’s the article I wrote about the process
      (hopefully the link will post properly):

https://www.associatedcontent.com/article/470786/simple_tips_to_becoming_a_power_coupon.html

2) I make most of my cleaners. Most cleaners get replaced by vinegar
      and water which works better than commercial cleaners in my opinion. There are
      several great resources out there for making your own cleaning supplies.
      3) I cook in large batches~ not quite once-a-month cooking, but as
      close as I can get. That way I can buy meats and other groceries in bulk when
      they’re on sale and cook them up and freeze them. If I didn’t do
      that, we’d be eating pizza a lot more often.
      4) I base my meals on what we have on hand instead of grocery shopping
      to make what we want for meals. This means that I’m only ever buying
      groceries on sale. It saves a lot.

Hope that helps!

…angie

From: Budget101_@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Budget101_@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of dvictor1@cox.net

Sent: Wednesday, June 25, 2008
      12:24 PM

To: Budget101_@yahoogroups.com

Subject: Budget101.com : Price
      Book…in this economy, why bother?

I had to
      throw away my price book, I could not keep up with the rising prices. (It was a
      spiral notebook and I ran out of space to write the new prices) Everytime I
      went to the store (twice a month, sometimes more) the prices had gone up. It
      would be useless in my opinion to even attempt a price book at this time with
      food cost constantly rising. I know I can only get half of what I use to be
      able to get for the same amount of money here in OK! I found a Sara Lee Bakery
      where I can get the whole wheat bread for a dollar a loaf, which I believe is
      because it is right next to their local bakery here in OK and I found at Aldi’s
      I can get a dozen eggs for .99. Thank God we still have one child on WIC or we
      would have to give up milk or at least cut way down. I gave up my 33 year diet
      dr. pepper habit after it came to food or dp. We also cut down on cheese since
      it is now almost $4 a pound for the store brand. We have not bought red meat
      since the last outbreak of bad meat but hubby was really starting to crave it
      again and I almost passed out in the store when I saw the cost of it! He can
      continue his cravings!!! It is getting really bad out there!

We are a family of 5 and I can barely keep our food budget under $400 a month.
      One of our local news stations pointed out the manufactures are also changing
      their products. I think one of the examples of mayo went from 32oz to 30oz but
      the price is the same. They stopped putting as many chips in the bags, but the
      packaging is undectable so unless you are looking at the exact amount of
      product, most people would not recognize the change.

Hubby is a HUGE meat eater, he has to have meat with a meal, and I try to
      accomodate him since he works so hard but it is getting harder and harder to
      do.

What is everyone else doing at the grocery store to make your food dollars
      stretch? I would love to get a top 5 or top 10 list started!

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Budget101 Discussion List Archives Budget101 Discussion List Price Book…in this economy, why bother?