Budget Menu & Dirt Cheap Recipes Dietary Concern Recipes Party Meatballs with Tangy Sauce

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by mos March 15, 2019 at 11:17 pm.

• Author

mos
    Participant

Party Meatballs with Tangy Sauce
    Meatballs:
    1 1/2 lb lean ground beef
    1/2 lb ground mild sausage
    1 cup fine soft bread crumbs
    1/3 cup milk
    1 egg, beaten
    1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
    1/2 tsp garlic powder
    1/4 tsp ground allspice
    1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
    Sauce:
    1 cup ketchup
    1 cup brown sugar, packed
    1/4 cup cider vinegar
    1 tbs Worcestershire sauce
    2 tbs finely minced onion
    1 tsp garlic powder
    1 tsp kosher salt
    1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
    1/4 tsp ground cayenne pepper, or more, optional
    Heat the oven to 350°.
    Line a large rimmed baking sheet (half sheet pan) with foil. Place a cooling rack in the pan. Or use two jelly roll pans and smaller cooling racks. The cooling rack helps keep the meatballs out of the fat, but if not available, arrange the meatballs right on the foil.
    In a large mixing bowl combine the ground beef, sausage, bread crumbs, milk, beaten egg, 1 1/2 tsp of kosher salt, 1/2 tsp of garlic powder, the allspice, and 1/4 tsp of black pepper.
    Mix to blend the ingredients thoroughly.
    Place the meatballs on the rack(s).
    Bake the meatballs at 350° for 25 to 30 min.
    Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine the ketchup, brown sugar, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, minced onion, 1 tsp of garlic powder, 1 tsp of kosher salt, 1/4 tsp of black pepper, and the ground cayenne pepper. Stir to blend.
    Transfer the cooked meatballs to the crock pot. Add the sauce mixture.
    Cover and cook on low for 3 to 4 hours.
    Serve from the slow cooker with toothpicks and napkins for guests. Makes 4 doz meatballs
    :notme:

@mos 1070946 wrote:

Party Meatballs with Tangy Sauce

Sauce:
    1 cup ketchup
    1 cup brown sugar, packed

I am a kidney patient (I have no kidneys and am on dialysis) and I can tell you that ketchup and brown sugar both have Potassium in it. Saying this is a kidney friendly recipe it should also say what stage (kidney friendly as in still have kidneys or on dialysis or what) and how much potassium and phosphorus is in this recipe.

mos
    Participant

AngieCKD, I am so sorry that you are experiencing such an ordeal. This recipe was passed on to me by a colleague who’s husband is in dialysis. It’s his favorite meal that she makes. If there were special ingredients, she didn’t share. I shared the recipe as she provided to me. I mentioned to her that I’m always on the lookout for special meals for members with certain conditions or needs and she shared this with me. Thank you for drawing this to my attention and will ask about the two ingredients that you mentioned specifically. I am in remiss for not stating that I received permission for sharing this recipe. Thank you for pointing this out and I hope that others in your condition read this.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login Register

Budget Menu & Dirt Cheap Recipes Dietary Concern Recipes Party Meatballs with Tangy Sauce