Parenting- Chores- Children

Budget101 Discussion List Archives Budget101 Discussion List Parenting- Chores- Children

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author

My philosophy on parenting is that our job is to turn babies into adults… ideally, responsible, ethical, self-sufficient adults. With that in mind, yes, my kiddos do chores.

And, no, we do not pay them. Work is part of life and not all work is paid work. My seven year old is responsible for the trash and for setting and clearing the table at dinner.

She also helps mama fold laundry and put it away and various other household chores. My 14 year old mows, vacuums, does his own laundry and helps keep the kitchen clean. They are responsible for keeping their rooms clean and neat.

We have two dogs and the children share responsibility for caring for them. With an eye toward coming independence, we’ve started teaching our older one to cook. He does simple dishes now such as mac and cheese, but will be learning more over the next year or two.

Some folks think we lay too much on our kids, but my wife was raise such that she never had any responsibilities and
      therefore didn’t learn anything about the chores of daily living when she was growing up. when she moved out on her own, life was very difficult for her and it took her a long time to learn things that should have been second nature to her by then. she’s determined that that won’t happen to our kids, and i don’t think it will!

randal

after all, he isn’t a tame lion…but he is good.

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. [/url] “] Try it now.[/url]

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Budget101 Discussion List Archives Budget101 Discussion List Parenting- Chores- Children