Our Kids Financial Future

Budget101 Discussion List Archives Budget101 Discussion List Our Kids Financial Future

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author

I was thinking about something that may be helpful to our children’s future. I wonder why personal finance and budgetingisn’t taught in high school. This would be of great benefit to them and all americans over the long term.

I remember I took an engineering economics class in college. I learned more about savings in that class than anything and it was very veryeye opening to me. I didn’t become an engineer (I am a computer programmer), but this was so useful to me.

I think this would help our kids overthe long term. It seems to me that I have learned the most about saving and budgeting from my Grandma’s generation (I’m 33 and she is 86). Also my mother teaching me how to balance a checkbook when I was a teen was great. I didn’t learn much about saving from my parents since they still struggle with it, but have strong tendency to save.

I think our children in general right now are only learning from my generation of getting everything they want and how to pile up debt. Most teenagers have cell phones and spend all of their money from their part time jobs. In high school I saved up $3000 for college myself and that was from only working summers and a paper routeuntil I was 18.

Thanks,
      Shawn

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Budget101 Discussion List Archives Budget101 Discussion List Our Kids Financial Future