One more question….this time about dog flea and tick product

Budget101 Discussion List Archives Budget101 Discussion List One more question….this time about dog flea and tick product

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author

On Jul 31, 2007, at 8:07 AM, Naomi Knudsen wrote:

We learned from experience that over time fleas can develop a resistance to one product used over and over

Resistance is an issue with all insecticides that work as nerve agents (they affect the nervous system of the insect, causing death).  You will kill all of the bugs that are not genetically able to fend off the effects of the agent, but those with a stronger genetic make-up are able to withstand the insecticide & reproduce, passing their genetic strength on to their offspring.  Think of it as people with varying degrees of genetic susceptibility to disease.   It is my understanding that d-Limonene (orange oil) products kill mechanically by dissolving the outer coating on an insect & suffocating it.  Mechanical insecticides don’t have the resistance issues, just as a person can’t develop a genetic resistance to, say, being stabbed.  Another mechanical insecticide is  food-grade Diatomaceous earth (NOT the type used in pool filters!!) I have read that some vets advise their clients to use powders containing DE on pets with fleas.  I have no pets, so I haven’t tried it, & it has potential side effect issues, but they all do to some extent. DE is a desiccant, &works by dehydrating the insects.

~dee~

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Budget101 Discussion List Archives Budget101 Discussion List One more question….this time about dog flea and tick product