Budget101 Discussion List Archives Budget101 Discussion List One more frugal recipe, cake recipe from 1950s

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

My favorite cookbook is one from 1954 it was the year hubby was born and the cook book is the Betty Crocker cooking for two. I love this cookbook because in those day cooks weren’t using a lot of convience foods and this cookbook is really geared for the new bride with some really basic recipes. I had the same cookbook from 1964 and it was full of convience foods and I thought wow what a difference 10 years made.

I ended up getting rid of the 1964 book it was useless. But that 1954 gets used almost every week.

Here is one recipe that I use that is actually a recipe it came from the 1954 book and makes an 8x 8 inch cake which is just right for our family of three. It is just as easy as a cake mix. But a cake mix makes so much cake that is would be in my house for a week and we would be eating huge pieces just to get rid of it.

When I make this cake I cut it into nine pieces and our family of three gets dessert for three days out of it. But even if you had a family of nine this cake would serve you desert for one evening. A conventional cake mix makes double this amount or about 18 servings.

Dinette Cake

1 1/2 cups of sifted all purpose flour

1 cup of sugar

2 tsp of baking powder

1/2 tsp of salt

1/3 cup of oil

2/3 cup of milk

1 tsp of flavoring

1 egg

I just mix all of the ingredients pour in the 8 x8 pan and bake at 350 for 30-35 min.

Back when I could get self rising flour for the same price as all purpose I just used self rising and omitted the salt and baking powder. Now that I can get all purpose flour at Aldis for 99 cent I add my own leavening. Because the cheapest self rising in my area is 1.72 for five pounds.

Anyway I buy a can of frosting and keep it in the fridge to frost this cake. I can get about four cakes from the one can of frosting.

I always use vanilla flavoring because that is what I have on hand. But I think the possibilites for this cake are as endless as the number of flavorings available at the local store.

I haven’t tried adding cocoa powder to make chocalate if someone does let me know about how much you used and how it turned out.

Tracy

More immediate than e-mail? Get instant access with Windows Live Messenger.

Thanks for this post. I have been baking the 1-2-3-4 cake but this sounds perfect.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Budget101 Discussion List Archives Budget101 Discussion List One more frugal recipe, cake recipe from 1950s