oatmeal question

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author

I am getting tired of oatmeal everyday, but it is so cheap, what sort of topping do you guys use to keep yourself from getting bored of oatmeal..any ideas would be great

I have the same phenomenon; it’s good for you and cheap and you get tired of it! A couple of ideas: my husband and I like to put raisins, cut up apples and walnuts in for a hearty breakfast with a lot of flavor and texture. It boosts your fiber and protein also.

You can also make up some granola and mix into yogurt.

I absolutely love oatmeal in the mornings!
      My favorite way is to add milk instead of water. I also add cinnamon, a bit of brown sugar, diced fresh fruit-, (faves are peaches, apples, strawberries, and blueberries), a pinch of flaxseed, 1 tsp butter, and about a tbsp of non fat vanilla yogurt….then I nuke it. Yummy.

I usually alternate the fruit to keep from getting tired of the same flavors.

There are lots of ways to make your oatmeal more healthy and delicious. Just add chocolate powder onto pan with oatmeal and water. For the preparation, top a milk for more delicious taste.

You can do some experiment in your oatmeal, like add slice of bananas, strawberries etc.

I flavor mine with s/f Torani Syrups which come in a large variety of flavors. My favorite is ‘Bacon’ which unfortunately is not sugar free.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen the bacon syrup before! That sounds interesting! My nephew puts bacon on just about everything he eats, that would make a fun stocking stuffer for him.

It comes in a smaller (12.7 oz) bottle and can be ordered online if you can’t find it locally. I got mine at a World Market/CostPlus store. Here’s a link including recipes using it.

Bacon Syrup | Torani

I like to add nuts and fruit to mine. I especially like bananas and walnuts. Another good add in is homemade chunky applesauce.

I chop some apples (with or without the peel) and nuke them until they are soft, then I mix them into the oatmeal or spread them on top. Add some almonds or walnuts and yummy!! Even my kids will aet that one.

The kids favorite is chocolate chips, a little brown sugar, and a lot of cinnamon. Even with the small amount of sugar (less than a teaspoon) and the chocolate chips (usually about 1/2 dozen) it has less sugar than most cereals. HTH!!

Here’s some inspiration:

Tribute To Oatmeal

Be sure to scroll down – later pics have recipes/links.

Oh YUM! I never thought about adding granola…I’ll have to try that one!
      Thanks Sara for sharing the link to the Tribute.

@mcnerd 232722 wrote:

I flavor mine with s/f Torani Syrups which come in a large variety of flavors. My favorite is ‘Bacon’ which unfortunately is not sugar free.

That’s my favorite too! You might could make your own by making a basic simple syrup and simmering some crumbled up bacon in it for 20 minutes or so. Just keep the heat low.

There are diabetic syrup recipes on here somewhere, I saw them yesterday. piggy bank

~The Baconater~

@hickamgirl 217457 wrote:

I am getting tired of oatmeal everyday, but it is so cheap, what sort of topping do you guys use to keep yourself from getting bored of oatmeal..any ideas would be great

Not all that healthy but my kids love it: Top your oatmeal with some milk chocolate chips and mini marshmallows. It’s like eating S’Mores in a bowl.

Some healthier ideas:

Top your oatmeal with dried cranberries or blueberries. I bet applesauce and brown sugar would taste good too, although I haven’t tried it.

I Like to add Fresh Strawberries..Sometimes I Put Milk and Honey in my Oatmeal

One of my best friends uses honey and walnuts in her morning oatmeal. I’ve not tried it but she loves it.

@hickamgirl 217457 wrote:

It’s fall , so we love to add a few spoonfuls of pumpkin puree, and cinnamon

We also like to make a Chai tea oatmeal:

3/4 cup water
      1/4 cup milk
      1 chai tea teabags
      1/2 cup oatmeal
      honey
      Directions:

Combine water and milk into a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Add teabag, reduce heat, place the cover on part-way so that steam can escape, and cook for 4-6 minutes. Remove teabag. Add oatmeal and cook for about 5 minutes. Stir frequently.
      Remove from heat and sweeten with honey to taste.

I was just thinking about looking up the MYO Oatmeal Packets post. DH brought home a variety pack (on sale) and I was looking at the Health info on the back and noticed that oatmeal is very high in Iron (which I need) and very low in calories. Wondering does oatmeal also help lower cholesterol? Just found out mine is high and would rather not take pills, just eat healthier and lose a little weight ~ are my thoughts.

I’ve not seen the research for myself, but my Dr said it would. Something about the fiber being insoluble, so it “scrubs some fat/aka cholesterol”, from cells.

Thanks, I keep meaning to look into it, but you know how it goes (I get side tracked very easy) ;0)

@jkpjohnson 250695 wrote:

Wondering does oatmeal also help lower cholesterol? Just found out mine is high and would rather not take pills, just eat healthier and lose a little weight ~ are my thoughts.

According to the studies in adults, LDL cholesterol may be lowered by 10 percent in some cases. In these studies, anywhere between 40 and 60 grams — or roughly one bowl — of oatmeal was consumed by each subject per day.

Czerwinski J et al. Oat (Avena sativa L.) and amaranth (Amaranthus hypochondriacus) meals positively affect plasma lipid profile in rats fed cholesterol-containing diets. J Nutr Biochem (10):622-9.
      Davidson MH et al. The hypocholesterolemic effects of beta-glucan in oatmeal and oat bran. A dose-controlled study. JAMA 266(8): 1833-1839

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.