- This topic has 1 reply, 1 voice, and was last updated September 5, 2009 at 7:01 pm by .
- September 5, 2009 at 7:01 pm #275923rtebalt
Prep Time: 30 min
Total Time: 2 hours 30 min
Makes: 12 bars
1 1/2 cups dried apples, finely chopped
1/2 cup chopped pecans
3 cups Whole Grain Total® cereal
1/3 cup honey
1/4 cup golden raisins
1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
1/3 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup apple butter
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup old-fashioned or quick-cooking oats
1/4 cup dry-roasted sunflower nuts
1. Line bottom and sides of 8-inch square pan with foil; spray foil with cooking spray. Sprinkle 1/2 cup of the apples and 1/4 cup of the pecans over bottom of pan. Place cereal in resealable food-storage plastic bag; seal bag and coarsely crush with rolling pin or meat mallet. Set aside.
2. In 4-quart Dutch oven, heat 1/2 cup of the apples, the honey, raisins and brown sugar to boiling over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium. Cook uncovered about 1 minute, stirring constantly, until hot and bubbly; remove from heat.
3. Stir peanut butter into cooked mixture until melted. Stir in apple butter and cinnamon. Stir in oats and sunflower nuts until well mixed. Stir in crushed cereal.
4. Press mixture very firmly (or bars will crumble) and evenly onto apples and pecans in pan. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup apples and 1/4 cup pecans; press lightly into bars. Refrigerate about 2 hours or until set. For bars, cut into 4 rows by 3 rows. Store covered in refrigerator.
High Altitude (3500-6500 ft): No change.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.