- April 28, 2010 at 6:27 pm #282146
My friend’s daughter has decided that she would like to have a Luau themed party to celebrate her graduation from high school. She is wanting suggestions for the menu and decorations.
I know you all have great ideas.
- April 29, 2010 at 12:02 pm #427993
Hi Michelle, welcome to the site . . .
Here are various ideas:
Make the doorway the entrance to a big sandcastle. Build sandcastles out of cardboard and spray paint them with faux-sand (available at walmart) or you can make a glue spray and literally throw clean dry sand onto it while it’s wet.
Make flags out of lightweight cloth to fly from the castle top and attach them to small wooden rods, Write your custom message on the flags, like “Welcome” or “Michelle’s Graduation Beach Bash.”
You can often get plastic leis at the dollar store
Create a ‘Tiki Bar’ – complete with supplies for Virgin Pina Colada’s & Virgin Daiquiris. – Set up a blender, fresh fruit and supplies, add some pretty daiquiri glasses ($1 at walmart) in the seasonal section.
Hang beach balls from the ceiling and in doorways. (dirt cheap at the dollar store) as well as b-lights (the small Christmas lights) and string plastic sand shovels on them, too.
Consider making enough to line the driveway or sidewalk with your sandcastle flags. Use the colors of your grad’s school (either past or future).
Use ‘tropical colors’ for your tablecloths–yellow, green, hot pink, melon, orange and bright blue, and add small items like sea shells to the table.
Recipes to Follow . . .
- April 29, 2010 at 12:03 pm #427994
Tropical Salad with Pineapple Vinaigrette
* 6 slices bacon
* 1/4 cup pineapple juice
* 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
* 1/4 cup olive oil
* freshly ground black pepper to taste
* salt to taste
* 1 (10 ounce) package chopped romaine lettuce
* 1 cup diced fresh pineapple
* 1/2 cup chopped and toasted macadamia nuts
* 3 green onions, chopped
* 1/4 cup flaked coconut, toasted
1. Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain, crumble and set aside.
2. In a cruet or jar with a lid, combine pineapple juice, red wine vinegar, oil, pepper and salt. Cover and shake well.
3. In a large bowl, toss together the lettuce, pineapple, macadamia nuts, green onions and bacon. Pour dressing over salad and toss to coat. Garnish with toasted coconut.
- April 29, 2010 at 12:06 pm #427995
Food needs to be easy to prepare, easy to eat, not so messy.. . .
Hawaiian Chicken Kabobs
* 3 tablespoons soy sauce
* 3 tablespoons brown sugar
* 2 tablespoons sherry
* 1 tablespoon sesame oil
* 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
* 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
* 8 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves – cut into 2 inch pieces
* 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple chunks, drained
1. In a shallow glass dish, mix the soy sauce, brown sugar, sherry, sesame oil, ginger, and garlic powder. Stir the chicken pieces and pineapple into the marinade until well coated. Cover, and marinate in the refrigerator at least 2 hours.
2. Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
3. Lightly oil the grill grate. Thread chicken and pineapple alternately onto skewers. Grill 15 to 20 minutes, turning occasionally, or until chicken juices run clear.
- April 29, 2010 at 12:13 pm #427996
Hawaiian Luau Party Décor Ideas
- * cover tables with island designed tablecloths, tropical sheets, or beach towels, winding silk vines around food serving pieces.
- * cover the serving table with fish netting and scatter sea shells, stars and sea horses around net.
- * use uncut pineapples and coconuts on serving table as décor.
- * sprinkle flowers and tropical leaves on the tabletop. l
- * fill vases and jars with sand and sea shells and place a candle in the center.
- * sarongs and straw beach mats can be used as inexpensive table toppers.
- * drape hula skirts around the table or hang on the wall near the serving station.
- * scatter addtional island décor around the party, such as tiki carvings, paper mache parrots on perches, and colorful fish.
- * bring personal items from the garage that are in theme; that old ukulele, surfboard, beach chairs and straw hats.
- *beach umbrellas, beach chairs and large beach towels can be set up for seating and lounging in the backyard during the party. have beach balls and hula hoops on hand for play.
- *string colorful paper lanterns in trees for backyard lighting.
to decorate the “tiki bar” buy cheap grass skirts and cover the base of it.
- April 29, 2010 at 12:13 pm #427997
Pineapple Mango Salsa
* 1 jalapeno or chipotle pepper, seeded and finely diced
* 1 cup fresh pineapple, diced
* 1 fresh mango, peeled and diced
* 1/2 cup red onion, diced
* 1/2 cup red or orange bell pepper, diced
* 2 cloves garlic, minced
* 4 tablespoons fresh lime juice
* 1-2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
* 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Combine all ingredients in a small mixing bowl and refrigerate for at least 24 hours before serving. Makes about 2 cups.
- April 29, 2010 at 12:17 pm #427998
For a Table Centerpiece- Decor you could carve a Tiki Watermelon
- April 29, 2010 at 7:10 pm #428002
Thank you for the ideas!
- April 29, 2010 at 7:14 pm #428003
This looks delicious. Thank you for your ideas they are inspiring her imagination now.
- April 29, 2010 at 7:14 pm #428004
This looks like fun!
- December 25, 2011 at 4:33 pm #430941
Wow, the Hawaiian Chicken Kabobs and Pineapple Mango Salsa recipes look so delicious…and I’m not even having a Luau. lol Think I’m going to check the pantry to check for ingredients then write it in on an upcoming menu. Thanks!
- June 24, 2014 at 6:44 am #454674
She could slow cook pulled pork for sandwiches or wraps including lettuce in those. For fruit cut open a watermelon use melon ball tool to shape watermelon, cantaloupe, and honeydew into balls on kabobs. Turn the half watermelon rind side up place on clear plastic tray ( $tree) and stick kabobs into it.
Veggie tray (same as last), small bowl for ranch dressing in the middle, circle one row each of cauliflower, radishes, broccoli, different colored bell peppers(cut in slices) , celery, and carrots. Add any other veggies to add color, flavor,texture that you like (baby corn?). Rainbow Sherbet ice cream with sprite for a punch.
I hope these ideas help. Have fun!