- December 3, 2015 at 12:44 pm #367244
Move over Mounds, you’ve got nothing on this recipe that originates in the great state of maine!!
a traditional sweet
treat from maine, needhams are made with coconut, chocolate and real
maine potatoes. …
if you’re from maine, odds are you’ve heard of them….this is the best recipe…enjoy!!!
3⁄4 cup hot mashed potatoes (not seasoned!! not instant)
1⁄2 teaspoon salt
2 (1 lb) packages confectioners’ sugar
1⁄2 cup butter
14 oz flaked sweetened coconut
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 (12 ounce) package chocolate chips
4 unsweetened chocolate squares
1⁄2 paraffin wax block, the same paraffin you melt to use on top jam (2 1/2 by 2 1/2)
1. Cook and mash potato to make three-quarters of a cup.
Add salt and butter.
2. Add confectioners sugar, flaked coconut, and vanilla.
3. Mix well and turn into a buttered jelly roll pan and spread evenly.
4. Place in a cool place to harden, we usually lightly cover this with foil and place on the porch railing for a few minutes, but you can stick yours in the freezer/
5. When hard, cut into small squares.
6. For the dipping chocolate, again use a double boiler.
Place paraffin in the top over boiling water to melt.
7. Then add the two kinds of chocolate and allow to melt.
8. Stir well to mix ingredients.
9. Dip in the chocolate mixture (with a fork, or toothpick,and let the
excess chocolate drip off before you lay it on the waxed paper).
Hold each square over the chocolate mixture after dipping so the square
drains well (I usually will have to reheat the chocolate inbetween
dippings so it is nice and thin and drips of easily).
10. Place on waxed paper to harden.
Prepare to smile..
Attachments:You must be logged in to view attached files.
- December 4, 2015 at 12:29 am #462565mosParticipant
Hmmm…sounds kinda good (chocolate), but still trying to digest the use of mashed potatoes;-d i’ll let you know if i decide to try it! lol! i’m usually game for most anything, but
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.