Budget Menu & Dirt Cheap Recipes General Recipes Need Recipe for Chili Cook-Off! :)

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Hey guys! My Sunday School class is having a Chili Cook-Off at the end of the month. Now, I consider myself a pretty good cook, but I don’t have an “Award Winning” chili recipe. 🙂 Does anyone have one they would consider sharing? I’d like to try a couple of recipes at home & try to come up with something for the contest. Thanks for the help guys! 🙂

Wish I had one of my own, but when I make chili, which is often, I use the 3-Alarm chili seasoning mix. The seasonings are exactly perfect, and you can choose to, add, or not, the hot cayenne. However, because these strong intense seasonings tend to make the finished product on the bitter side, I add an extra can of tomato sauce, this seems to mellow them out quite a bit. And… I am from NM, we add BEANS to our chili…LOL. A true Texan would be cringing right now…LOL.

@mardhines 98074 wrote:

Wish I had one of my own, but when I make chili, which is often, I use the 3-Alarm chili seasoning mix. The seasonings are exactly perfect, and you can choose to, add, or not, the hot cayenne. However, because these strong intense seasonings tend to make the finished product on the bitter side, I add an extra can of tomato sauce, this seems to mellow them out quite a bit. And… I am from NM, we add BEANS to our chili…LOL. A true Texan would be cringing right now…LOL.

Oh, I love beans in my chili! 🙂

Participant

Award Winning Chili
      1 lb ground beef
      1 lb red kidney beans
      1 onion, chopped
      1 clove garlic, minced
      1 bell pepper, chopped
      2 tbs oil
      1 small can tomato paste
      1 small can tomato sauce
      1 16-oz can tomatoes, chopped (or use fresh)
      1 tbs chili powder
      1 tsp cayenne
      1/2 tsp hot sauce
      water as needed
      salt to taste
      Soak beans overnight and discard water. In large skillet saute onions, bell pepper, and garlic in oil until onions are translucent. Add ground beef and cook until no longer pink, about 8 minutes. Add tomato items and seasonings and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until heated through, 7 to 10 minutes. Pour ground beef mixture into large pot with beans, stir to mix well, then start adding water — one cup at a time — while stirring until the desired consistency is achieved. Simmer for at least an hour, stirring occasionally. Add salt.
      Enjoy!

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Budget Menu & Dirt Cheap Recipes General Recipes Need Recipe for Chili Cook-Off! :)