Need Ideas for Spam…

Budget Menu & Dirt Cheap Recipes General Recipes Need Ideas for Spam…

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      mos

Some of you may know that I plan to enter every cooking competition for the State Fair next year. One of the competitions is for Spam. I have never, ever, dealt with this product!

Any suggestions for what I can do with Spam would be appreciated. I don’t want to go buy a bunch of cans of this stuff without a game plan in place…I AM on a budgetgiggle smiley
      Seriously, I would appreciate any thoughts that anyone may have;-D

wilbe95

I don’t use Spam, it just kind of grosses me out anymore. My Dad on the other hand lives on the stuff, lol. Think of it as sort of a ham.

He will use it is omelets, just fry it in a skillet and eat it as a sandwich, on salads like you would steak or chicken, works well with Ramen noodles. Hope this helps you a little. Good luck on the competition.

mos

Wilbe! My friend…how are you!?? Thanks for the info on how your Dad eats Spam.

I will view it as canned ham and experiment from there! lol! maybe you can get your dad to try out recipes that i can come up with and let me know how they work.

(i still can’t believe that they are actually having a competition for this! lol!) you would think that they would focus on home grown products…well…since you said to think of it as ham…we do produce a lot of pork here…
      i’ll keep you posted! what comes to mind is breakfast recipes, but i’ll think on it…
      thanks, my friend…

MrsPaws

My Hubby absolutely LOVES Spam! Sooooo…here’s some of the ways I’ve used it:
      fried spam sandwiches
      fried spam (as the main dish protein), with sides
      dice it and saute-add to egg dishes, top baked potatoes, spam, onion, and potato hash, add to fried rice or stir fry, add to mac and cheese-hm or commercial. I’ve even seen recipes for spam sushi, but haven’t tried them.

lol

mos

Ham sushi…isn’t that a contradiction in termsgiggle smiley I mean an ultimate processed product as a ‘raw’ product?!! giggle…
      I’m trying to think of spam as a canned-ham product as my good friend, Wilbe, suggests.
      I particularly like your ideas with eggs, hash potatoes, or stir-fry.

I’m really thinking that I should shoot for a breakfast/brunch kinda recipe. I’m going to buy my first can of spam this week and will let you know.
      Here’s a question for the ‘spam’ experts…do I use the whole can or spread the can out for a number of recipes? What a question, eh?!!

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Budget Menu & Dirt Cheap Recipes General Recipes Need Ideas for Spam…