- March 20, 2012 at 5:34 pm #304509LissKeymaster
:117: We have a ton of chickens and I hate commercial chemical wormers. As such, here are a few simple ways to keep your flock worm free:
- Feed them Minced Garlic 1x per week- this CAN have an effect on the flavor of eggs for 1 day, so if you’re not a fan of garlic, be aware of this. My husband looks at it as a Bonus feature, lol
- Sprinkle Diatomaceous Earth (DE) in the Coop, the chickens will roll in it when they take a dust bath, which will kill mites & sand fleas and in addition to it, they kill the worms in their intestinal tract, you must use FOOD Grade.
- Apple Cider Vinegar- 1 Tbs per Gallon of Water
- Cayenne Pepper- Less palatable and often needs to be “hidden” in other food items in order to get them to digest it.
- Ground Pumpkin Seeds- some folks swear by these, but they seem to only work on Intestinal Round Worms (which are generally visible in the poop as spaghetti looking strings that wiggle)
Anyhoo, these are the items that I use to worm my own chickens and keep them free of parasites without the use of chemicals. I rotate them on a weekly basis so that the worms do not build up immunity to these natural treatments.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.