Viewing 40 reply threads
  • Author

ok i am trying to grow out my nails. is there any home remedies to make them grow faster and stronger? or is there a specific vitamin that i could take.

also, i had tried looking for that “no bite” polish, i do not think they make it anymore. any ideas on how i could make some. i tried adding hot sauce to some clear polish, that did not work at all.

lol

help, this is one of my 2009 new years goals. So far so good, but any help would be great.

For myself, I have noticed that using any kind of hand lotion has helped my nails to grow stronger and longer. I use to bite all of the time. Keeping my hands busy really helps also.

If I get to reading to many posts then I will notice myself with my fingers in my mouth :). Good luck with this it is such a hard one to break. Maybe psych yourself by thinking of all of the things you touch and what all could be on your finger nails-yuk.

get rid of hang nails !! it helps with the nailbiting

if you have hangnails you will pick at the skin, stick fingers in mouth and before you know it what little nails you have are gone ..

right now take clippers and clip the ends of the hang nails as much as possible ..

then soak nails (or do dishes) push back the cuticles **cuticles sliding down the nails is what causes the hangnails. tip if you do dishes or have babies (so your hands are constantly in water) keep an orange stick, cuticle pusher right by the sinks

although you aren’t supposed to really clip cuticles unless you know what you are doing i do it because when i am not doing what i am supposed to do they are really really long and then even pushing back they slide down.

i have some no name eucerin from rite aid – this has lanoline in it and very very thick but man does it ever heal up your skin fast ..

look on line for stop zit – nail biter stuff – it is nasty, tastes horrible, i will notice the taste even if reading (*i can chew nails even with so call stop nail bit polish) .. since i can really zone out reading that’s something. its this orangey coloured stuff (it can stain fingers).

very bitter, and has a horrible after taste

i have been chewing nails for way over 50 years .. The only thing that really helped me was fake nails .. When my dd (mental health issues) would go off I would occasionally chew through those too.

But generally I could keep the fake nails on

I know some people think they are awful, terrible for nails etc etc . However my nails are crap to put it bluntly, they bend and since they are always in water they are so soft .. I have latex allergy so can’t wear the wash gloves doing dishes – need to get the non laytex ..

hate wearing gloves too

Once the nails were on I left them on and once the section that had been sanded grew out (I was amazed my nails even grew). My nails underneath weren’t too bad, think I left them on for about 3-4 months. They were longer once the fake nails came off, but generally because of washing up they would bend still, etc.

I had to remember to put on clear polish to help with the water damage.

Bert got me 2 gift certificates for nails – I need to get them done.

BTW the first time they put them on my nails weren’t even 1/4 inch long (not talking about the pinky either).

Ria no-nails in Maine

jkpjohnson,
      I don’t recommend this, but the only thing that helped me was getting dentures. It is nearly impossible to chew your nails with those..lol.. I also don’t recommend my ex Mother in laws solution, and that was to slap me in the face every time she saw me doing it.

I can’t even tell you how irritating that was. Certainly made me aware of “when not to do it” though. i have problems growing nails too, but my problem is that some nails curl up, and some curl under.

i have been told that this is a deficiancy, and i’m sure it probably is. i just don’t know what kind. i do know that when i was younger, my mother used to dissolve jello, and i would drink this daily, for years.

and it did help strengthen my nails and help them grow. might give this a try. thanks.

Oh I am right there with you except, I quit biting my nails and I pick them off. They start to chip and peel and I just peel off what’s already started. So I can’t even do the no-bite stuff because I’m not putting them in my mouth.

My husband says I even pick them while I’m sleeping so I don’t think I’ll ever have nails.

That is horrible getting slapped in the face! People smoke, drink, everyone has something that’s not good for them I don’t think biting your nails should be anyone’s concern.

Avatar for jkpjohnsonFreebieQueen

@jkpjohnson 101083 wrote:

OK I am trying to grow out my nails. Is there any home remedies to make them grow faster and stronger? Or is there a specific vitamin that I could take.

Yup, Knox Gelatin will do it. Just follow the directions on the box. 🙂

atta76

Ya, it was always a pretty irritating experience. I’m not sure how much of it was done out of “concern” for me to quit biting my nails, or just a way of releasing pent up frustrations at having me for a daughter in law…LOL.. At any rate, it did make me concious of it while in her company lol.

I have bit my nails ever since I can remember. I have even bit the thumb nail totally off on my left hand!! i was 8 years old too!!

It looks pretty bad! I have tried everything. From that nasty polish they used to make to fake nails.

I bit that nasty polish off and also the fake nails, but then when those fake nails came off..my nails were a mess and very brittle!! Well I couldnt stand working with a bunch of woman would all had beautiful hands and gorgeous nails. My resolution last year was to grow my nails back.

Well I have nails on my right hand only. The left is still short…then I decided this year that I will stop completely!! I have long nails on my right hand and ALREADY I have nails (small) on my left (with the exception of my thumb – cause the doctor said that may never grow back) *fingers crossed* I do find myself sometimes putting my fingers in my mouth, but the will power is working for now.

This sounds gross * but my daughter told me that she learned that you can get pin worms from biting you nails. This thought has also helped me stop 🙂

Good luck on this!!!

faxonfive

Another thing you get by biting your nails, and not always in extreme cases, is gum disease. The action of biting on something that hard, loosens the tooth bed. In a lot of cases, ( mine), your gum become so loose around the tooth, that the tooth or in my case…

TEETH just fall out. The teeth that didnt fall out, had to be pulled, because the gum disease that developed spread so rapidly. Unfortunetly, I had no clue what was making my teeth come out, until it was too late.

Nail biting is a very hard habit to break, mainly because people do in unconciously. Most of the time when your attention is on anything else, your nails are in your mouth. I think the only way to stop, is to be aware that you are doing it, but then again, that is much much easier said than done.

I wish all of you nail biters luck , I’ve been “nail sober” for 10 years. Not by choice of course, but because I just couldn’t do it with dentures. Take care and good luck.

If I can be of any help at all, don’t hesitate to let me know!

Thanks everyone, I will try the Stop Zit and the Knox Gelatin. Good to know I am not the only 40+ who still bites their nails. Started chewing gum as well (also trying to stop smoking) this seems to help as well.

jkpjohnson

(also trying to stop smoking)

I don’t want to discourage you from any attempt to better your health, but, it is not recommended that you try to discourage 2 such bad habits at the same time. Example, at one time, I decided to quit smoking, and lose weight, all at the same time, it was probably New Years …LOL..I don’t remember. But, both attempts bombed big time.

In fact, I’m not sure that it only made them worse. Just a thought.

I never really bit my nails my problem was getting them to grow and not break down to nothing. I am definately going to try the knox gelatin. Question though does it have a nasty taste to it.

Right now I have fake nails on that is the only way I can get my regular ones to grow but once I have them removed they start breaking at the edge of them I need to find something to make them stronger so they don’t break so fast after removing the nails. I am taking vitamin E right now my hairdresser told me to take it it would help with hair,skin, and nails. I sure hope so.

once your nails have grown out do not remove the fake nails, instead start using the emery board & sanding pad and taper down the top of the fake nails, near the cuticle.
      .. at night just take the sanding block and hit the top of the nails eventually you get down to the real nail – stop at that point.

pulling the nails hurts and may increase splitage .. dipping nails in fingernail polish remover dries the nail out – more split factors.

also make sure you are using the buffer on the nail top – supposedly the buffing increases the circulation.

once you are down to real nail or just about use the hand cream – i love the eucerin no name by rite aid .. its a big jar and lasts forever, as you don’t need much .. keep cuticles under control so you don’t get the hangnails.

put on polish even if its just clear ..

Ok what is a sanding pad? and also if nail polish remover dries out the nails what else do you use to remove the old polish?

sanding pads are in the same area as polish etc .. little squares, sometimes other shapes – they are fine and med compared to emery boards (which is why I start with the emery boards)

taking off polish is fine but many take off nails using a combo of soaking in finger nail polish remover and pulling – ouch and hard on ‘your’ nails

I will definately look into getting one anything to help my nails out.

I tried the putting on Fake nails method, to help in the growing out process, I found that they make my nails weaker.

Yes I have noticed my nails are weaker after I get rid of them they do last for a while but then they all break off .

Hi, just a thought. Vitamin E is very good for your hair, nails & skin. I would definately try to start taking that.

You can also get the vitamin E pills with the liquid inside, poke it with a pin and put the vitamin E oil directly onto your nails and cuticles. This should help your nails a great deal. I hope this helps you!

Nicole

Thanks Nicole .Question how do I know if it has the oil in them will it say on the bottle?

You want to buy the gel capsules. They have a soft gel coating instead of a hard capsule. They are easy to break open.

Good luck.

Thanks I am definately going to get these. I have another question how many capsules to do all nails?

Thanks I am definately going to get these. I have another question how many capsules to do all nails?

I would say 1-2. Depending on how much you use on each nail. Just get a safety pin and poke a hole in the end so that small drops come out.

I think you’ll see a big difference in your nails and cuticles. I did nails for years, and I used vit. e on all my clients.

Another great thing, although it’s not for nails, but for dry skin. Mix olive oil in a bowl with sugar until it makes kind of a paste, use this scrub on your hands, arms, legs, feet, wherever you have dry skin. Wash off with warm water.

Your skin will feel amazing!! Have fun & good luck.

I would say 1-2. Depending on how much you use on each nail. Just get a safety pin and poke a hole in the end so that small drops come out.

I think you’ll see a big difference in your nails and cuticles. I did nails for years, and I used vit. e on all my clients.

Another great thing, although it’s not for nails, but for dry skin. Mix olive oil in a bowl with sugar until it makes kind of a paste, use this scrub on your hands, arms, legs, feet, wherever you have dry skin. Wash off with warm water.

Your skin will feel amazing!! Have fun & good luck.

Thanks.I am going to have to try the olive oil and sugar thing I love those kind of things and te yway they make you feel after using them.

Thanks.I am going to have to try the olive oil and sugar thing I love those kind of things and te yway they make you feel after using them.

I can actually start seeing my nails grow!!!! Thanks for all the tips yall!!!

I can actually start seeing my nails grow!!!! Thanks for all the tips yall!!!

Well I made it almost 3 weeks, then I had 1 or 2 too many beers and before you know it, I have to start all over. i recommend staying away from adult beverages. lol bummer

Well I made it almost 3 weeks, then I had 1 or 2 too many beers and before you know it, I have to start all over. i recommend staying away from adult beverages. lol bummer

Learn how to knit or crochet. Anything to keep your hands busy – especially when you watch TV.

Learn how to knit or crochet. Anything to keep your hands busy – especially when you watch TV.

Started cross-stitch again. This does help, but I find the time on my PC & cross-stitch do not work very well together. R Hand on the mouse, L Hand in my mouth w/elbow on the desk.

Someone had mentioned that they had longer nails on the R Hand (I agree).

Started cross-stitch again. This does help, but I find the time on my PC & cross-stitch do not work very well together. R Hand on the mouse, L Hand in my mouth w/elbow on the desk.

Someone had mentioned that they had longer nails on the R Hand (I agree).

Pamela,
      put on gloves lol .. try putting on some thick handlotion, rub nails with the vit e, then put on gloves .. if they are tight you can still type, otherwise you’ll have to use surgical type

i’ve noticed i am chewing the heck outta mine too. i think its also part of the sad stuff, the weather is crappy, you aren’t outside etc etc.

think i need to start taking some vits again too. vit b (stress tabs) worked great with my kids i used the zbec type (zinc helps with colds, b for stress, e for skin, & c for immune). apparently i have enough b (don’t know how since i don’t eat a balanced diet) ’cause i smell like it if i take it, my kids didn’t though.

ria

Pamela,
      put on gloves lol .. try putting on some thick handlotion, rub nails with the vit e, then put on gloves .. if they are tight you can still type, otherwise you’ll have to use surgical type

i’ve noticed i am chewing the heck outta mine too. i think its also part of the sad stuff, the weather is crappy, you aren’t outside etc etc.

think i need to start taking some vits again too. vit b (stress tabs) worked great with my kids i used the zbec type (zinc helps with colds, b for stress, e for skin, & c for immune). apparently i have enough b (don’t know how since i don’t eat a balanced diet) ’cause i smell like it if i take it, my kids didn’t though.

ria

I too have been a life long nail biter. I have tried many things to stop. I finally (this past December) decided that I was going to quit.

I went to Walmart and bought that nail strengthener (gold bottle by sally hansen) and a bottle of the Hoof Stop the Bite nail polish and went to town. I put on the strengthener then topped it off with the bitter nail stuff. I even coated the the areas around my nail on my fingers.

That way if I put them anywhere near my mouth I would regret it. I repeated the two polish process every couple days.

I have broken 3 nails (they split at the sides so I pulled them off as they were catching on everything) and I am still going strong. I am almost at the point where I need to trim them because they are getting quite long. I still use the nail bitter polish and probably will for at least 6 months, except now I put it on over nail polish.

Whoo-Hoo! I am actually painting my fingers! I used to just do my toes since I didn’t want to attract attention to my horrid fingers.

It is such a wonderful feeling.

I am so proud of myself and my Husband is proud of me too. My hands look beautiful for once and I am so happy. I will never again go back to biting my nails.

I too have been a life long nail biter. I have tried many things to stop. I finally (this past December) decided that I was going to quit.

I went to Walmart and bought that nail strengthener (gold bottle by sally hansen) and a bottle of the Hoof Stop the Bite nail polish and went to town. I put on the strengthener then topped it off with the bitter nail stuff. I even coated the the areas around my nail on my fingers.

That way if I put them anywhere near my mouth I would regret it. I repeated the two polish process every couple days.

I have broken 3 nails (they split at the sides so I pulled them off as they were catching on everything) and I am still going strong. I am almost at the point where I need to trim them because they are getting quite long. I still use the nail bitter polish and probably will for at least 6 months, except now I put it on over nail polish.

Whoo-Hoo! I am actually painting my fingers! I used to just do my toes since I didn’t want to attract attention to my horrid fingers.

It is such a wonderful feeling.

I am so proud of myself and my Husband is proud of me too. My hands look beautiful for once and I am so happy. I will never again go back to biting my nails.

You Go Girl ~ YA HOO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You Go Girl ~ YA HOO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Viewing 40 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.