MYO Van Camps Pork and Beans

Budget Menu & Dirt Cheap Recipes Mixes~MYO~Copycat~Etc MYO Van Camps Pork and Beans

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      MommaD

I am in search of a recipe for Pork and beans……and my picky hubby won’t eat them if they don’t taste simular to Van Camps…..doesn’t anyone have a recipe that I can experiment with???

mcnerd

I have not seen a copycat recipe for these beans, but below is an easy recipe to start with and experiment. I would go with pieces of salt pork rather than bacon and cook it before adding.

Great Northern Beans

1 can Great Northern Beans
      1 16 oz can canned tomatoes
      6 slices bacon (crisp), (6 to 8)
      1/4 cup onion, chopped
      1/4 cup green peppers, diced
      1 Tbs brown sugar or maple syrup
      1 tsp prepared mustard
      1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
      1 1/4 tsp salt
      1/8 tsp pepper

1. Add all ingredients except bacon to 1 can (16 oz.) tomatoes and simmer 10 minutes. Add 1 can Great Northern beans and simmer 5 additional minutes.

Crumble bacon over top.

Ingredient list for Van Camps:
      Prepared white beans, water, tomato puree (water, tomato paste)sugar, less than 2% of: High Fructose Corn Syrup, salt, distilled vinegar, pork, baking soda, onion powder, natural and artificial flavors, spice, calcium chloride (a firming agent)

i’ve hightlighted some of the ingredients to concentrate on for flavor and texture. most should be obvious. sugar and corn syrup is for sweetness, but i would stick with the brown sugar.

the calcium chloride is known to canners as “pickle crisp” and helps the beans stay firm and is not a necessity.

MommaD

Thank you so much!!! I am off the experiment and will post my results ASAP!!! Luckily I have the best taste tester in the world!!

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Budget Menu & Dirt Cheap Recipes Mixes~MYO~Copycat~Etc MYO Van Camps Pork and Beans