1 cup water
      3 tea bags (black tea)
      ? teaspoon PABA powder
      2 tablespoons beeswax
      1 cup sesame oil
      10 drops vitamin E oil

Yield: 2 cups

TO MAKE:

1. Make a very strong cup of black tea with the tea bags and water. Cool to
      room temperature; remove the tea bags, pressing out all the water. 2.
      Dissolve the PABA powder into the tea. 3. In a double boiler, melt the
      beeswax in the sesame oil on low heat. 4. Once the beeswax is melted, remove
      from heat and allow to cool to room temperature. 5. Place the tea mixture in
      a blender on high speed. Slowly drizzle the oil mixture into it and mix for 5
      minutes. 6. Add the vitamin E oil while still blending. 7. Pour into a
      cleancontainer, preferably one with a spout. To use, apply generously to your
      skin and face. Reapply every 2 hours when the sun is hot and high, or if you
      have been swimming.

SUNBLOCK

INGREDIENTS

1 cup zinc oxide paste
      ? cup sesame oil
      ? cup orange blossom water, at room temperature
      ? cup distilled water, at room temperatureYield: 2 cups

TO MAKE

1. Spoon the zinc oxide paste and pour the sesame oil into the top of a
      double boiler. 2. Stir as best you can. 3. Fill the bottom of the double
      boiler ? full of water and bring to a gentle boil. 4. Place the top of the
      pan containing the paste and oil over the bottom and gently heat, stirring
      constantly for 3 minutes. 5. Remove from heat. Add the orange blossom water
      and distilled water, mixing thoroughly. 6. Store in a widemouthed jar with
      lid; decorate with stickers, if desired. To use:
      1. Dab on the skin. Do not rub in. The more opaque the product is on you, the
      more effective the sunblock.

Has anyone tried either of these recipes? I am anxious to make homemade sunscreen and would like to hear opinions.

I haven’t tried either recipe but I did notice both call for or use water. Anytime you make a personal care product with water you have to be careful of mold and bacteria growing in it over time.

I would boil the water first, then after cooling, I’d add 1/2 tsp Tea Tree Oil, which kills mold and bacteria (including MRSA). This may even add some residual bug repellent properties. Alternately, Oregano Essential Oil and Eucalyptus Essential Oil have antibacterial properties, as well. I’ve used these ingredients in water soluble recipes before and had no issues with unwanted things growing.

I should also add that for the sunblock, that substituting coconut oil would add natural antibacterial properties, and it has an additional natural SPF of it’s own.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Budget101 Discussion List Archives Tips-n-Tricks MYO Sunscreen & Sunblock