Budget Menu & Dirt Cheap Recipes General Recipes My Mom’s Speghetti Sauce [Family Size]

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

2 lbs hamburger
      1 pack of 6 Italian sausage [hot or mild…your preference] [cut into 1 1/2″ slices]
      2 bell peppers [diced]
      2 med onions [diced]
      1 jar of sliced mushrooms or can or sliced fresh
      2 large cans tomato sauce
      2 small cans tomato paste
      1 large can diced or chopped tomatoes
      2-3 minced garlic cloves
      4-5 tablespoons Italian seasoning [or more or less to taste]

First brown the hamburger and Italian sausage and drain.
      Next add all diced and sliced veggies and canned ingredients.
      Add Italian Seasoning.
      Bring to a boil then lower temp and simmer on med/low for at least 2 hours.
      My mom let’s it simmer for 3 to 4 hours.
      :045:

This is also the sauce she uses for her Lasagna….Just alternate layers of:
      Sauce>Noodles>Ricotta/Cottage cheeses>Noodles>Sauce>Noodles>Sauce>Ricotta/Cottage/Sauce>Noodles>Sauce Then sprinkle top with Shredded Mozzarella and fresh Parmesan.

YUMMY!

Very nice recipe! My hubbie loves spaghettie with Italian sausage! 🙂 I’m getting hungry just thinking about it!

This also freezes nicely in a good ziploc bag for future use. In case you don’t use it all….You can also add chili powder and kidney beans to it and turn it into chili.

Thanks for the freezing tip. That way I can make up a huge amount & then freeze it in individual portions for later!

@rtebalt 86263 wrote:

Thanks for the freezing tip. That way I can make up a huge amount & then freeze it in individual portions for later!

lol…sorry for the delay in response. We usually always have some leftovers to freeze. It taste just as good when thawed as the original night.

Thanks for a new spaghetti sauce recipe, I like trying different versions. Due to cutting back on red meat I’ll probably try it with ground turkey and turkey italian sausage, bet it will still be good.

@Niddi 111246 wrote:

Thanks for a new spaghetti sauce recipe, I like trying different versions. Due to cutting back on red meat I’ll probably try it with ground turkey and turkey italian sausage, bet it will still be good.

My mom has used chopped up chicken in it. It is good with anything I can assure you.:razz:

Getting hungry . thank you nice recipe.

Avatar for BreakerOneNineKawaiiGiggle
      Participant

@BreakerOneNine 86203 wrote:

This also freezes nicely in a good ziploc bag for future use. In case you don’t use it all….You can also add chili powder and kidney beans to it and turn it into chili.

man.. that sounds sound good!!!

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Budget Menu & Dirt Cheap Recipes General Recipes My Mom’s Speghetti Sauce [Family Size]