Budget Menu & Dirt Cheap Recipes Cooking for Two Mung Dal Kitcherie

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

This is not my recipe, it is from a colleague from India. She prepares it at least once a week for her and her DH and believes it is why the two of them are so healthy because in India, this is a staple for its healing properties. They are never, ever sick! They are vegetarians and she and I will exchange recipes ever so often. Well, for my side it is usually recipes that can be adapted to a vegetarian mealgiggle smileyher minestrone kicks mine to the curb and I’ve beem trying to get her recipe for four years! I gave her mine and she makes it as an alternative to hers ever so often! However, since this is considered a healing meal, she shared and gave her permission to post.Mung Dal Kitcherie
      1/2 cup yellow mung dal (split, hulled, dry mung beans)
      1/2 cup basmati rice
      1 1/2 tbs ghee (clarified butter)
      2 bay leaves
      2 pieces cinnamon bark
      2 whole cloves
      2 whole cardamom pods
      3 cups water
      1/4 tsp salt
      Rinse the mung dal and basmati rice several times. Heat a saucepan on medium heat and add the ghee. When the ghee has been heated, add the bay leaves, cloves, cardamom pods, and cinnamon bark and stir them until they are thoroughly combined and fragrant.
      Mix in the basmati rice, mung dal, water, and salt. Heat to high, and boil for five minutes, stirring constantly. Turn down the heat if it begins to burn.
      Partially cover and cook on medium heat until the mung dal and rice are soft, about 20 to 25 min.
      Remove the hard spices (the cloves, bay leaves, cinnamon bark, and cardamom pods). Serve the dish warm.
      This recipe serves two. Store it in the refrigerator, covered, for up to three days.
      balloony smilie

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Budget Menu & Dirt Cheap Recipes Cooking for Two Mung Dal Kitcherie