- This topic has 0 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated November 2, 2008 at 1:18 am by .
- November 1, 2008 at 11:47 pm #265737
Mix & Match Bean Soup Mix
• 1/4 cup dry navy or great northern beans
• 1/4 cup dry garbanzo or pink beans
• 1/4 cup dry red or red kidney beans
• 1/4 cup dry black or pinto beans
• 1/4 cup regular brown rice
• 2 tbl snipped sun-dried tomatoes (optional)
• 2 tbl dried celery or green pepper flakes
• 2 tbl dried minced onion
• 1 tbl dried parsley flakes
• 2 tbl instant chicken bouillon granules
• 2 tsp chili powder or 1 tsp Italian seasoning
• 1 tsp dried minced garlic
• 1/2 tsp salt
In an airtight plastic bag, combine the beans. (they need to be soak, so they must be packaged separately from the seasonings.) In another bag or container, combine remaining ingredients. Seal tightly and store until needed. Makes 1 recipe.
Place the Mix & Match bean soup mix in a pretty soup tureen with a ladle and place the following recipes inside the tureen, so they may have a choice in recipes.
Meaty Bean Soup
• 1 recipe Mix & Match Bean Soup Mix
• 1 cup fully cooked ham
• Plain yogurt or sour cream, optional
In a 3 quart saucepan combine beans from bean mix and 7 cups water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover; simmer for 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Let stand, covered, 1 hour (Or soak overnight in a covered pan) Drain and rinse beans. To beans, add 6 cups fresh water and seasonings from bean mix. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover; simmer for 1½ hours. Add meat. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Cover; simmer for 30 minutes more or until beans are tender. Remove from heat. Place about 2 cups bean mixture in a blender container. Cover; blend until sooth. Return blended mixture to saucepan; heat through. Top with yogurt or sour cream, if desired. Makes 6-8 main dish servings.
Meatless Bean Soup
Make soup as directed above except, omit meat and add 1/2 tsp salt when adding seasonings. Stir in 1/4 tsp Kitchen Bouquet, if desired. Makes 6-8 main dish servings.
Bean Soup with Cornmeal Dumplings
Prepare soup as directed except, do not blend the cooked mixture. Instead, using a fork, slightly mash the cooked bean mixture. Return the mixture to boiling. Meanwhile, for dumplings, in a medium mixing bowl, stir together 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal, 1 tsp baking powder and 1/2 tsp salt. Combine 1/3 cup milk and 2 tbl cooking oil; pour over flour mixture. Stir with a fork until combined. Drop mixture from a tablespoon into 6 to 8 mounds atop bubbling stew. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 10 to 12 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center of a dumpling comes out clean. Do not lift cover until dumplings have cooked for 10 minutes. Makes 6-8 main dish servings.
- November 2, 2008 at 1:18 am #402280
oooh we good stuff……
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.