Stuff I’d Like to See General Media mail service

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author

Here is a thought ~and tip. 💡
      When sending books snail mail. Let the postal people know it’s books–you are sending and the postage will be alot cheaper. I didn’t know this until I started talking to my postal Lady.

She kindly took the first postage off and refunded that postage and put the new postage on. It is a big difference, that day I had a saving of about $3and 68 cents. She told me this is called media mail service.

you can check this out at usps – the united states postal service (u.s. postal service) or call 1-800-275-8777. Hope this helps some of you sending books.

😉

Any idea on why this is cheaper? Is it all media (cd’s, dvd’s) also?

I just sent a book on Thursday and the man told me that it only works if it’s the media (book, cd, etc) only. He asked me if there was a letter in the package as well because if there was it would not qualify. The service can be slower than regular first class mail.

Yes she did tell me it is slower then regular mail. I didn’t have a letter to go into the package of books that I sent so — I guess that’s why I got a deal in sending. You can still check the web site that I posted and with your local post office.

I send lots of stuff media rate. Can’t have any letters in them. I send my family calendars out media rate too!

It’s bound printed material so it qualifies. Actually this year it wasn’t that much of a difference and the ones that had 3 or more calendars actually went cheaper 1st class! My Postal Mistress always looks forward to my annual mailing of the Family calendars.

She always asks me what I’m mailing and checks several ways to see how it can go cheapest. gotta love living in a small town!

Quote:
      gotta love living in a small town

it certainly makes a difference with tlc. and knowing there is someone there you can depend on

Quote:
      gotta love living in a small town

it certainly makes a difference with tlc. and knowing there is someone there you can depend on

You also have to be careful when mailing “light” items like CD’s – sometimes regular postage is cheaper than media mail because media mail has a fixed start rate (something around $2 or $3). I found it cheaper to mail cd’s non-media mail, but media mail is a great money saver when mailing huge textbooks!!

You also have to be careful when mailing “light” items like CD’s – sometimes regular postage is cheaper than media mail because media mail has a fixed start rate (something around $2 or $3). I found it cheaper to mail cd’s non-media mail, but media mail is a great money saver when mailing huge textbooks!!

Quote:
      but media mail is a great money saver when mailing huge textbooks

becca, you are certainly right with the large textbooks. i did this for one of my nieces.

Quote:
      but media mail is a great money saver when mailing huge textbooks

becca, you are certainly right with the large textbooks. i did this for one of my nieces.

Quote:
      can’t have any letters in them.

just curious, how would they know if you had a letter in it or not?

Quote:
      can’t have any letters in them.

just curious, how would they know if you had a letter in it or not?

Kim,
      One thing to remember when using this type of service my Postal Lady said — is that the USPS has the right to check your package or packages if they believe there is anything other then what should be in the package. You are on the honor system. She said that they spot check media mail, from time to time.

Kim,
      One thing to remember when using this type of service my Postal Lady said — is that the USPS has the right to check your package or packages if they believe there is anything other then what should be in the package. You are on the honor system. She said that they spot check media mail, from time to time.

Quote:
      she said that they spot check media mail, from time to time.

thank you, i haven’t used the media mail before. guess if you want to send a letter send it with a stamp. still would be a lot cheaper this way then regular parcel post.

Quote:
      she said that they spot check media mail, from time to time.

thank you, i haven’t used the media mail before. guess if you want to send a letter send it with a stamp. still would be a lot cheaper this way then regular parcel post.

I noticed in the social book group some were sending books and I have sent some cookbooks to a new friend here. So this was very useful info and savings for me –so I thought I’d share a good savings with everyone here.

I noticed in the social book group some were sending books and I have sent some cookbooks to a new friend here. So this was very useful info and savings for me –so I thought I’d share a good savings with everyone here.

It helps to have a copy print off the USPS site about media mail/first class mail handy when you mail a bunch of stuff. Generally, the media mail is best when the package weighs over 6 oz. and first class is cheaper if under 6 oz.

Those of us who use the paperbackswap.com are probably more aware of this than most. It has an automatic suggested weight on the book you are sending out with the price of postage. I have gone from taking my books to the post office for postage to buying it on the site. I also have a small digital scale to safety check the packages.

So far, it has been right in 95 percent of the time.

The book swap has been lots of fun for me; can’t recommend it enough. I have almost completed a series of 14 books I have wanted for a long time but not bought. I have so many paperback and some hardbound books it at least gives me some options for getting new books outside of the library.

Catherine

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Stuff I’d Like to See General Media mail service