Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      bethaliz6894
      Participant

I have been given some Original Pectin from Ball. the suggested use on the back says to use a cup and a third of crushed fruit to make something similar to a jam. I was wondering, can I use fruit juice to make a jelly? will I follow the same recipe? I am amazed, this little packet says it makes like a dozen pint jars. I have no pint jars, so can I use old butter dishes? I plan on using this right away and not storing on the shelf. I may try to freeze it but not sure how that will work.

Liss
      Keymaster

@bethaliz6894 293480 wrote:

I have been given some Original Pectin from Ball. the suggested use on the back says to use a cup and a third of crushed fruit to make something similar to a jam. I was wondering, can I use fruit juice to make a jelly? will I follow the same recipe? I am amazed, this little packet says it makes like a dozen pint jars. I have no pint jars, so can I use old butter dishes? I plan on using this right away and not storing on the shelf. I may try to freeze it but not sure how that will work.

Liquid Pectin or Dry Pectin?

bethaliz6894
      Participant

it is dry. on the front of the label it says classic pectin. the other stuff I have is instant fruit pectin. the recipe on the back is for jam also and it calls for 4 cups of crushed fruit.

FreebieQueen

@bethaliz6894 293487 wrote:

it is dry. on the front of the label it says classic pectin. the other stuff I have is instant fruit pectin. the recipe on the back is for jam also and it calls for 4 cups of crushed fruit.

a little less than 1/2 cup of dry pectin equals 1 pouch of liquid pectin. Dry pecton makes great jam & jellies- here’s the website for surejell brand, most of their recipes are pretty good:

http://www.kraftbrands.com/surejell/products.aspx

I’m learning a lot from this thread.. 😀 Great tips!

I LOVE making jams, preserves, marmalades, and jellies! I usually make either low or no sugar varieties so I have to use the low sugar pectin packets.
      I’ve even made no sugar added apple jelly, using 100% apple juice, (no added sugar), and low sugar sure jell….It’s good stuff. 😉
      Thinking about making grape jelly the same way.
      The possibilities are endless…

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.