Make Your Own ‘Bisquick’ Mix

Budget Menu & Dirt Cheap Recipes Mixes~MYO~Copycat~Etc Make Your Own ‘Bisquick’ Mix

Viewing 26 reply threads
  • Author

Make Your Own ‘Bisquick’ Mixyou rock
      8 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
      1 Tbsp. baking powder
      1 Tbsp. salt
      2 tsp.

cream of tartar
      1 tsp. baking soda
      1 1/2 cups instant nonfat dry milk
      2 1/4 cups vegetable shortening
      In a large bowl, sift together all ingredients. Blend well.

With pastry
      blender, cut in shortening until evenly distributed. Mixture will resemble cornmeal in texture. Put in a large airtight container.

Label and store in a cool dry place. Use within 10 to 12 weeks.
      Variation: Use 4 1/4 cups all-purpose flour and 4 1/4 cups whole-wheat flour instead of 8 1/2 cups all-purpose flour. Increase baking powder to 2 tablespoons.

This is a staple item in my house! No clue what I would do if we didn’t have it on hand so many different things you can make out of this base.
      Thanks

This is a staple item in my house! No clue what I would do if we didn’t have it on hand so many different things you can make out of this base.
      Thanks

Here’s a slightly different version from my files that also might store longer, if a person has such a need.

Bisquick Mix (Low Fat)

3 1/4 cups unsifted all-purpose flour
      1/2 cup sugar
      1 cup nonfat dry milk powder
      1/2 cup cornstarch
      1 tablespoon baking powder
      1 teaspoon baking soda
      1 1/2 teaspoons salt

1. Mix together.
      2. Cover tightly and store.

Use water, buttermilk or skim milk to moisten.

Here’s a slightly different version from my files that also might store longer, if a person has such a need.

Bisquick Mix (Low Fat)

1/2 cup sugar
      1/2 cup cornstarch
      1 teaspoon baking soda
      1 1/2 teaspoons salt

1. Mix together.

mcnerd your version would store on the shelf instead of the fridge. Thanks this will be a nice version to try.

mcnerd your version would store on the shelf instead of the fridge. Thanks this will be a nice version to try.

Two version in one thread this is really handy — Thanks everyone.

Two version in one thread this is really handy — Thanks everyone.

we now have a small, medium, and large (two with sugar) version. I’m referring to amounts;-) biggerpiggybank posted some time back a larger version. I posted mine since it didn’t have any sugar;-) so now everyone can pick and choose what suits them best!

isn’t this site wonderful?!?

pancakes never last long in my house.

Thank you! I’m running low on Bisquick, so this will come in handy.

My youngest child suffers from strong food allergies, one of which is any kind of dairy. is there a myo bisquick that does not have powdered milk in it?

eva in nc

@winterskyshadow 114562 wrote:

My youngest child suffers from strong food allergies, one of which is ANY kind of Dairy. Is there a MYO Bisquick that does not have powdered milk in it?

Eva in NC

Yup, its on the site:

Make your own Bisquick -type Mix in a Jar Gift Idea

There are approximately 2,000 Mix recipes on budget101.com 🙂 (NOT including the forums!)

Here’s a slightly different version from my files that also might store longer, if a person has such a need from “McNerd” and you can use alternative powdered milk, mixing it later on with soy milk, rice milk or water to make it allergen free.

Bisquick Mix (Low Fat)

1/2 cup sugar
      1/2 cup cornstarch
      1 teaspoon baking soda
      1 1/2 teaspoons salt

1. Mix together.

Thanks you so much because I can make this recipe allergen free. I posted it again, mentioning you as the original author, so another parent can see it.

ALLERGIES: been there and have numerous T Shirts

#1 make up the mix without the milk in it and sub out with soy or rice milk

#2 make up the mix but toss in non dairy creamer – if you have corn allergies you can not use it .. btw it makes great chowder

#3 buy the powdered soy (rice if you can find it is better) milk .. its high priced though and use it

Mom to lots of allergic kids (multiple allergies)

Bisquick belongs to MONSANTO…..we can’t tell what they put in it anymore. I don’t buy it…I make my own. Good recipes on here !!

@rockin grandma 356589 wrote:

Bisquick belongs to MONSANTO…..we can’t tell what they put in it anymore. I don’t buy it…I make my own. Good recipes on here !!

Here’s my version which does not use milk.

Budget101.com – – Copycat Bisquick Recipe | Make your Own Convenience Foods

I’m also trying to get away from using solid shortening (mainly Crisco) to avoid MonSATAN as we’ve come to call that monstrosity in our house. We’ve been experimenting with coconut oil as a replacement. So far it works pretty well in most recipes, but I still haven’t gotten the correct ratio yet to pass along to others.

This has nothing to do with any of the above recipes and adaptations to counter a variety of allergies and dietary requirements…possibly this is more for the political forum (I think that I am still a mod there — eh, Boss?), but I find it incredibly surprising that we (as a world-community) are encountering more children with allergies to so many foods. For example, a good buddy had a craving for peanut butter while she was pregnant with her ds — she averaged a jar every two or three days. her ds is allergic to peanuts!

while pregnant with dd, i craved dairy products. she loved dairy products while growing up — two gallons of milk a week alone while young, but now as an adult she is lactose intolerant and has to either take pills or use rice, soy, almond, etc., as a milk product. makes you wonder…

fortunately for me, my dm craved chicken and dumplings and let me tell you, i don’t have any digestive issues with my favorite meal! lol! giggle smileythe last month of her pregnancy she craved roasted peanuts which might contribute to peanut butter being my second favorite food item!

with my sister that came after me, it was italian food…she cooks a lot with tomato-based foods and my other sibling prefers chinese food to anything — my dm craved that while pregnant with her…she is now a vegetarian, preferring stir-fry. good thing both of their dhs are acquiescent! lol!
      what do ya’ll think?!!

@mos 356592 wrote:

This has nothing to do with any of the above recipes and adaptations to counter a variety of allergies and dietary requirements…possibly this is more for the political forum (I think that I am still a mod there — eh, Boss?), but I find it incredibly surprising that we (as a world-community) are encountering more children with allergies to so many foods.[b] For example, a good buddy had a craving for peanut butter while she was pregnant with her ds — she averaged a jar every two or three days.

her ds is allergic to peanuts! while pregnant with dd, i craved dairy products. she loved dairy products while growing up — two gallons of milk a week alone while young, but now as an adult she is lactose intolerant and has to either take pills or use rice, soy, almond, etc., as a milk product.

makes you wonder… fortunately for me, my dm craved chicken and dumplings and let me tell you, i don’t have any digestive issues with my favorite meal! lol!

giggle smileythe last month of her pregnancy she craved roasted peanuts which might contribute to peanut butter being my second favorite food item! with my sister that came after me, it was italian food…she cooks a lot with tomato-based foods and my other sibling prefers chinese food to anything — my dm craved that while pregnant with her…she is now a vegetarian, preferring stir-fry. good thing both of their dhs are acquiescent!

lol!
      what do ya’ll think?!!

i agree! a year or so ago, i was reading an article, on this very subject matter, in a medical journal i had borrowed from a friend. the stats are staggering!
      i’m lucky my two children don’t have food allergies…although my daughter does have an immune issue, that’s also on a sharp increase in occurrence.
      from what i remember, our food sources and certain ingredients could be causing these type of medical problems…scary.

@mos 356592 wrote:

This has nothing to do with any of the above recipes and adaptations to counter a variety of allergies and dietary requirements…possibly this is more for the political forum (I think that I am still a mod there — eh, Boss?), but I find it incredibly surprising that we (as a world-community) are encountering more children with allergies to so many foods.

Um, I think you have Super mod status, if I’m not mistaken, but if there’s an area you can’t get into, give me a holler!

On the allergies thing- I personally believe that it’s a compounding issues of Genetically Modified Foods, overdoses of vaccines at younger and younger ages (did you know most kids are required to have 36 shots before they are 5 years old?) Also, did you know that the dosage given to an adult is the SAME dosage given to a child) I digress.. I think all of these things – the hormones in our foods, the mass antibiotics in meats and dairy, etc all contribute to the alarming rise in odd allergies and unique nervous system disorders and diseases. I’m blessed in the fact that my kids have no known allergies, aside from Hayfever during haying season and occasional allergies brought on by various plants in our area (Yucca, for example).

My oldest son had majorly severe acne and it just wouldn’t clear up. I told him to stop drinking milk for 30 days and you know what, his skin cleared COMPLETELY. I can tell when he’s had a small ice cream cone at work or when he eats a bowl of cereal because his face will be all broke out within 24 hours. We make almond milk ourselves now.

I sometimes think that our meager budget contributed to our good health because I couldn’t afford to buy junk food, couldn’t afford to buy prepackaged convenience items and It led me to growing veggies in my own modest garden. Had it not been for these things, we might be consuming larger amounts of “Faux” foods, overly processed items that “look” like food but are really just “food-like” products. We don’t eat all organic, but we are careful what we buy and where/who we buy it from. I don’t buy or consume soda/soft drinks, milk, etc.

Back on topic though- the allergies I’ve been encountering with the kids friends are odd to me- my sons girlfriend is allergic to oranges and foods containing orange Oil/flavorings. Another of his friends is allergic to chocolate & peanut butter, another to Sweet Peas. Yes, Just the peas- the kid swells uncontrollably and breaks out into MASSIVE hives. Just plain Weird! Never heard of someone being allergic to Peas before.

omgosh that is a horrible thought. my eldest (ds) would be eating sauerkraut and drinking beer like nobody’s business if your theory is true!! i ate raw sauerkraut out of the can and craved beer throughout his pregnancy.

i didn’t indulge in the beer aside from one or two o’doul’s, but i wanted it. which is really weird since i didn’t drink or even like beer before becoming pregnant. (still like it on occasion, though.) i indulged in pb and chocolate chips during the last month, and he only tolerates pb.

my dds would have more normal cravings like watermelon, salad and golden grahams cereal. 😉 maybe it’s a strange boy-child thing… lol!

Sauerkraut and beer, eh? lol! must’ve needed something in those products!

i was probably calcium deficient since i don’t drink milk. yogurt wasn’t a big item before i was pregnant so cheese and sour cream were products that i consumed regularly. after giving birth, i tried a glass of milk and almost gagged!

lol! so now i make yogurt smoothies and take a calcium supplementgiggle smiley

This almost like mine! I use oil in mine which for me, is faster, I’ve used this about 15 yrs off and on. But now mostly on, it sure is easy to teach kids some quick recipes and makes the proud!

Thank you for this easy version! ..I will try this….approved!:)

BebetteBernal…hope you enjoy making and using it to make all sorts of things! Tell us about your recipes;-D

Viewing 26 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Budget Menu & Dirt Cheap Recipes Mixes~MYO~Copycat~Etc Make Your Own ‘Bisquick’ Mix