Budget101 Discussion List Archives Tips-n-Tricks Magic Erasers- making your own

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I absolutely love those magic erasers they sell in the little boxes of 6 for about $3, they work awesome for cleaning just about anything! But I cannot stand the price so I started researching what they are made of to see if I could make my own and guess what? They are really simple and cheap to make!

as i researched it, i discovered that i can’t “make my own” from scratch because magic erasers are actually just melamine foam!

literally, that’s it! nothing else! however, i discovered that it can be purchased on ebay or amazon for a lot less than the store bought stuff.

You can pick up a roll or big sheet of melamine foam and simply cut it into squares or rectangles in whatever size or shape that you need to make your own that work just as well as the store bought boxes for about 1/10th of the cost.

Melamine foam is the complete cleaning solution, the “magic erasers” that they sell do not have additional cleaners added to them, some of them have fragrance added, that’s about it. if you’re wondering how it works, when melamine resin cures into foam, its microstructure becomes very hard — almost as hard as glass — causing it to perform on stains a lot like super-fine sandpaper. you can read more about how it works here.

don’t let them fool you with expensive packaging.

i literally just bought enough to make 100 Magic Erasers for less than $10. Do you “make your own”?

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.

How do I make them???

there’s no special cleaner or anything you use, just the sponge?

I have been on this site for over 30 minutes trying to find the recipe for magic erasers. this is the 3rd time I visited this site. It is Very poorly navigated.

Not user friendly I am not going to post any of this because i dont’ want my friends to go wasting their time on a wild goose chase

where in the world is the magic eraser recipe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you put anything on the foam?

I have use generic magic erasers from Amazon and they clean quite well, not as durable as Mr Clean’s name brand erasers but good enough. I don’t feel bad about throwing the generic brands away. You get a lot for your money from Amazon

Easy Erasing Pads and similar products all have the same key ingredient: melamine foam. Melamine foam erasers are formed differently from other cleaning products and only need water to effectively clean most stains. They don’t need chemical cleaners or soaps with them.

The only downfall is that melamine foam erasers wear out quickly.

Avatar for BellyJeanFreebieQueen

@Annanj 555801 wrote:

How do I make them???

The post states clearly, “Magic erasers are actually just melamine foam which can be purchased on ebay or amazon for a lot less than the store bought stuff.”

Which means, in order to “MAKE THEM” you just buy Melamine Foam (which is MUCH CHEAPER).

@mitzielarocco 555807 wrote:

I have been on this site for over 30 minutes trying to find the recipe for magic erasers. this is the 3rd time I visited this site. It is Very poorly navigated.

Not user friendly I am not going to post any of this because i dont’ want my friends to go wasting their time on a wild goose chase

lol, anyone else find it amusing that this person is having a hissy fit about finding directions to making something and the answer is literally in the post above her own???

just wow. i don’t know how the writer of the post could have put it any more clearly than she did already, but let me try. magic erasers are nothing more than melamine foam.

therefor, in order to make your ow magic eraser you would simply purchase melamine foam and cut it into little rectangles. it costs about 1/10 of the price.

There’s really no need to whine about poor navigation. You clearly found the post, you just didn’t take the time to read and understand it. smh

i agree! you can not find things easily on this website. you have to search several places and then sometimes you can’t find what was suggested.

needs a revamp of search areas.

This definitely sounds like something I’m going to be doing in the near future!

how can i make them with no recipe… furthermore, buying them is not the same as making them…..

Oh my gosh, people. This article is pretty self explanatory. Buy the foam and cut them up in to eraser size pieces.

Use like magic erasers. They are saying that the erasers are just melamine foam.

@sylwhis 556881 wrote:

how can i make them with no recipe… furthermore, buying them is not the same as making them…..

i suppose you can make them if you have the proper manufacturing equipment and don’t mind exposing yourself and your family to melamine, which has killed a number of dog when it contaminated some dog food. if your goal is to save money, here’s a way to do it: order the melamine foam from amazon and cut it into the size pieces you want. not everything in life has to be homemade.

I bought some cheap ones off eBay and was thrilled how much I am saving now!

My hubby thought I was nuts when I first received them! I was like a looney-bird going all over the house testing them! lol

…..Kate 😀

:To funny: Is it horrible of me to be laughing hysterically?
      The recipe has been CLEARLY posted. Please read people! two cents

there is no actual recipe. she found out it is simply melamine foam. no chemicals or additives.

Reminds me of a story about a teacher giving her students a test. Statement number one was “Read the entire page before answering.” Last statement was “put pencil down and turn paper over.” One student did that and everyone around was still scrambling to “finish” the test.”

Guess who got an “A” for the class. It pays to read and follow directions. Less stress.

Thanks for this information, I use a lot of magic erasers. I am going to try this to save me money. I try anything that will help cut some in my budget.

Participant

This is great! Thank you so much!

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Budget101 Discussion List Archives Tips-n-Tricks Magic Erasers- making your own