- December 30, 2008 at 11:53 pm #268370
1 large egg, separated, yolk into 1 large bowl, white into another large bowl
2 cups plain low-fat yogurt
1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1⁄4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoons baking soda
1⁄2 teaspoon salt
1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
3 whites of large eggs, added to bowl with egg white (save yolks for another use)
1⁄2 teaspoon vegetable oil, more if needed
1 pint (2 cups) blueberries, picked over, rinsed and patted dry
1. Add yogurt, applesauce, sugar and vanilla to egg yolk. Stir with a rubber spatula to mix, then stir in baking soda, salt and flour until blended.
2. Beat egg whites with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form when beaters are lifted. Stir 1⁄3 the whites into the batter until blended.
Gently fold in remaining whites until no white streaks remain.
3. Meanwhile heat a griddle or large skillet over medium heat until a few drops of water flicked onto the surface skitter around and then disappear. Wipe 1⁄2 teaspoon vegetable oil over cooking surface with a paper towel (it may not be necessary to regrease surface).
4. For each pancake, pour 1⁄4 cup batter onto griddle or skillet, gently spreading batter to make a 4-inch pancake. Quickly sprinkle some berries on top, then cook 2 minutes longer or until bubbles appear on surface of pancake and undersides are golden-brown.
Turn pancakes over with a broad metal spatula and cook until tops bounce back when touched, about 2 minutes.
- December 31, 2008 at 1:36 am #407493
Pancakes are really one of my favorites. These really do sound good.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.