Budget Menu & Dirt Cheap Recipes Cooking for Two Linguine alla Cannavota

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

This is another recipe that my DD shared from her chef…since she’s about to leave, she’s sharing as much as she can…
      Linguine alla Cannavota
      1 pound linguine
      3 tbs olive oil
      12 oz raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
      2 cloves garlic, minced
      1/3 cup brandy
      4 cups strained tomatoes
      Kosher salt
      Pinch of red pepper flakes
      2 tbs cream
      The directions call for cooking the pasta while you’re making the sauce. To make the sauce, you sauté the shrimp in olive oil, then add the garlic. Cook just until the shrimp are done, then remove from the pan. Deglaze with the brandy and reduce by half. Add the tomatoes, salt to taste, and the pepper flakes and cook until slightly thickened. Add the cream and cook for another minute, then the cooked pasta and shrimp to warm through.
      Here’s the thought process I went through when I was reducing the recipe. I started with the amount of pasta – for me, 2 to 2-1 /2 ounces is a good portion size. For a main dish, I go with 3 to 4 oz of shrimp per serving. Half a cup of sauce is slightly more than I need for 2 oz of pasta, but I started with 1 cup of tomatoes in case I wanted more pasta. Since the brandy is used to deglaze the pan, I figured that for the small sauté pan I was using I needed somewhere between 2 and 4 tbs. For the cream, I just waited until the sauce was done and added enough to get it how I like it. I made the dish a couple of times and wrote down a few notes. For instance, I found that the amount of sauce was just about right for 2-1/2 oz of pasta per serving. In this dish, though, that much pasta was too much. So I reduced pasta to 4 oz and the tomatoes to ¾ cup — this was slightly too much sauce, but it worked well enough. After a couple of tries, this is what I had — a wonderful sauce over linguine;-D
      PIG 4 smilie

This sounds really good – thanks! (Please feel free to share any other gems!)

Participant

DD’s chef doesn’t mind sharing his recipes as he really doesn’t believe that anyone can truly prepare them as he does! LOL! I guess that makes him a bit arrogant, but I must say that his dishes are fabulous! The people standing in line to get into the restaurant are a testament to his dishes. He’s out and about at dawn at the markets to get the freshest products and the specials each day are whatever he creates. They do have a standard fare, like all restaurants, but most patrons visit to see what he is going to deliver special;-D I rarely eat out, but what this man prepares makes me want to camp out in his kitchengiggle smiley Some of the things that he comes up with are just amazing. He confesses that he doesn’t know what’s going to be served until he makes that first dish! I wish that I had his budget to shop and cook! LOL!

This sounds absolutely delish! Can’t wait to try it. Do you have any more of these recipes? What restaurant did it come from?

Participant

DD has shared lots of recipes from her chef;-D So just check for recipes from…megiggle smiley Her restaurant is the Lexington Avenue Brewery (LAB) in Asheville, NC.

Thanks so much….it sounds like a great restaurant…will check out your recipes too..

Participant

I hope that all of you enjoy the dishes. Her chef even makes his own corn and flour tortillas! My thought is that it would be cheaper to purchase them in bulk, but this man does everything from scratch– as should wegiggle smiley While visiting my DD, I said that I wanted a totally vegetarian meal for lunch (just wanted to see what he would dish up) and he personally served a fabulous veggie taco with avocado rice and mango salsa. He did a reverse bet to me — said that if I liked it, he would pay for the meal…if I didn’t, I had to pay for itgiggle smiley Needless to say, he paid for the meal AND had to put up with my pestering him on his break for some secrets! LOL!

Sounds very wonderful so gonna make this next week,,I’ll let ya know..how it comes out..Thank you Mos

Participant

Vampixen, please let me know how it works! I really like to know what works or doesn’t work for members. If it doesn’t work and I’m given a reason, I’ll work on an adaptation;-D I only hear of success stories or minor adaptations to the recipe, which is fine by me — I’m always saying to ‘make it your own.’ Failures, if I’m advised of, helps me develop adjustments or adaptations of the recipe to better suit the needs of the member! That being said, let me stress…let me know how it works! I’m not trying to get a pat on the back, I just want everyone to enjoy an exceptional meal;-D AND this really is good!!!!!!

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Budget Menu & Dirt Cheap Recipes Cooking for Two Linguine alla Cannavota